Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just purchased a 2006 2500 quad cab w/ the 5.9 cummins- the truck has 87000 miles on it. this is the first diesel I have owned. Everything seemed fine until I tried getting on it as I was pulling a slight hill- trying to accelerate from 50 to 65 mph. The engine wound up to 2200 rpm, then I heard what sounded like a sudden release of air pressure, and the rpms dropped back down. This happened several times in a row- now the check engine light is on and I have little power what-so-ever. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the cause of the problem. Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also found some codes: P0299, P0111, P0513. I am just not sure if these are related to the actual problem or just symptoms of the overall problem. I have searched other threads and they mentioned looking at the hoses on the hot and cold sides of the system- mine all look intact. Could this be related to the exhaust? So far, this form has been really helpful- lots of knowledgeable people on here. If I drum anything up, I will post my findings for others.

thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sounds like turbo or map sensor

Reactions: lesied

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply! Do you base this on the original problem I described or the codes that I listed. Is this an expensive fix or a diy at home on the cheap?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I based it on what you described. If you googled around much you might find a listing for them codes. Or by now, possibly you have.

Price wise it could go either way for you man. My father in laws 7.3 Powerstroke did something very similar couple weeks ago. Turns out when we popped the hood, it was just the map sensor had come unplugged. It happened when we put his new exhaust system on. The mechanic didn't plug it in all the way.

Keep us posted.

Reactions: lesied

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Thethrill- it turns out it was the air filter. It was dirty as hell! I just bought the truck 3 days ago from a guy who said he did regular maintenance, Guess he lied. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
493 Posts
No problem, ya sometimes we totally miss the obvious lol. Glad that's all it was, bet you are too $ :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts