Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

??? 2006 3500 rough starting???

672 5
I just bought an 06 3500. I had it no more than a month and the truck began to act up when I started it. The truck lets out a puff of smoke and idles real rough. After ideling for a while it smooths out. IT runs just fine and smokes a little more when i get on it than most people talk about. I changed out the fuel filter and have started adding DIESEL KLEEN to my fuel incase it is an injector that is dirty.

Any thoughts on what it could be?????? I have run as high as 30% vegetable mix with my diesel but had been told by others that shouldn't hurt anything.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I just bought an 06 3500. I had it no more than a month and the truck began to act up when I started it. The truck lets out a puff of smoke and idles real rough. After ideling for a while it smooths out. IT runs just fine and smokes a little more when i get on it than most people talk about. I changed out the fuel filter and have started adding DIESEL KLEEN to my fuel incase it is an injector that is dirty.

Any thoughts on what it could be?????? I have run as high as 30% vegetable mix with my diesel but had been told by others that shouldn't hurt anything.
30% veg mix is a lot, IMHO, for a common rail.

Have you towed anything lately? You may just need to spend a few hundred miles towing and cooking and cleaning it out.

How are you filtering the WVO?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is basically svo. I can get it free from my fathers job each time they change out the pumps. They use Vegetable based oil to lubricate all their machinery and the used oil they have to pay someone to recycle. If 30% is to high where should I be at.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
I would cut back to 15% and see what she does, 20% BIO is supposed to be OK. I would also check your fuel filter.

· Registered
659 Posts
The rough idle at start is common, it even states it in the owners manual. Mine idles rough for about 5 secs at most. They say it does until it pushes all of the air out of the hoses and what not. The puff of smoke can also be common... I was worried when mine started but I also added a 5in exhaust, no cat which is a big factor there. When you shut it off a little fuel is still left over so the next time you start it, it will puff out the remaining particles and what not..... somebody correct me if i'm wrong here. I just read this the other day.

· Registered
1,191 Posts
Rough idle is normal for mine when it's cold, as is a little puff of smoke. I have been starting mine from the pax side so I can watch the exhaust...long arms help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.