Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a lowering kit made for an '06 3500 quad cab dually? Autopartswarehouse.com advertised that they did, however when I received the kit it was only for a 1500.

It seems to me most places offer a lowering kit for 1500's but none for the 3500.

As for the people that want to ask why I am going to lower my truck. Yes, I will be installing helper bags, so i will not be on my bump stops while I tow. LOL! I just wanted to clear this up.

Please, any information would be awesome!

-Chad

·
Registered
93 Posts
why would u want to lower a 3500?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why would u want to lower a 3500?
Good hell, I knew someone would ask this stupid question. Why would you lift a 3500? My truck is a daily driver, and it tows my race car to the track. I like a clean look on my truck to go along with my 19.5's. 5 feet of fender gap isn't all that appealing to me. Also, a lower center of gravity usually gives a better towing vehicle. Now that I have answered your off topic question, back to my question. I asked if anyone knew of a lowering kit. I didn't ask for someone to question me why I want to lower my truck.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, you can check w/ Mcgaughys suspension or DJM. they both do a bit in the HD department, i got my spindles from mcgaughys and control arms from DJM.
Thanks, I will check them out.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I just called Kelderman. They don't have a lowering kit for Dodges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, no luck with either. Seems as though there is nobody out there that offers anything for the 2500 or 3500 Ram.

·
Registered
677 Posts
So wait! Why would you want to lower a 3500, again? I'm confused...LOL!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Up front, hack the springs.

Out back you can take out the 2-3spacer blocks on the bottom side of the springpack. You can also get lower shackles for the rear of the spring that will lower it 2-3" I believe.(Belltech or DJM, I think)

The problem you are going to run into is the bumpstops, you need to get shorter ones, or relocate, and depending on how much you lower the rear, you might need to notch the frame(probabaly not with a 4wd, but with a 2wd 2nd gen you do, unless you dont care about it riding on the bumpstops...)

IMO, id just lower it 2" or so in the front, and get the shackles for the rear(and ditch the spacers under the springs)

You might need airbags after all that though, to keep it from riding on the bumpstops when towing heavy...
Oh and dont forget to get shorter shocks...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Cut the rubber bump stops in half, or take them off. You don't need shorter shocks they will compress plenty if you are just going to lower 2 inches.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Cut the rubber bump stops in half, or take them off. You don't need shorter shocks they will compress plenty if you are just going to lower 2 inches.

The amount you lower it doesn't matter, you can only compress the rear axle so far, whether it's lowered 2" or lifted 2". Just make sure at full compression with shorter bump stops (removing them all together is stupid) the shock doesn't top out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, my main goal was around 2" in the front and 4" in the rear. I do not want to hack my front springs, so I may just take out the 3 blocks in the rear to level the truck out. I will call that good till I win the lottery and am able to afford a custom kit. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Well, my main goal was around 2" in the front and 4" in the rear. I do not want to hack my front springs, so I may just take out the 3 blocks in the rear to level the truck out. I will call that good till I win the lottery and am able to afford a custom kit. LOL!!!
You can take half-one full coil off the front, to lower it some, its not like you cant pick up a set of stock front springs for free or next to nothing;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
This may be just a crazy idea but couldnt you just buy some lower rated springs? Like buy the coil springs rated for a gas jobber 2500? Im basing this on the idea that guys buy the 3500 diesel rated springs to bring the front of their trucks up higher, so naturally i think going lower on the spring rate would make the front of the truck sag down more. right?? :popcorn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I took out the rear blocks last night. It lowered the rear about 2", still it's a bit to high for me. But I think it will work for the time being.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yeah, another 1"-2" would look sick! But it looks good as is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, another 1"-2" would look sick! But it looks good as is.
Agree, if I could get it about 2 more inches in the rear to level it out. It would look great!

Thanks all for the help! It's always good to know there is a board willing to help.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts