Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two month ago I flushed my cooling system figured I needed to since it had over 100,000 on it. That all went fine but I noticed I was slowly losing coolant in the over flow but could never find the leak. Well sunday I noticed steam coming from the hood when shut the engine off. Took a look noticed coolant all over the front of the engine getting blown by the fan. After looking on the web and finding this great forum site and going through all the post for an hour i had a hunch it was the pump. And it was the bearings where shot and the fins were starting to rub on the housing. About 3 hours later it was running normal again. I just wish my hands were smaller it would of went a lot faster! I noticed the original bump was made in England. The one I bought at NAPA looked like it was made in the USA at first. But after looking closely it was a really made in china. Napa just put a label that said MADE IN THE USA over the NAPA box. The bottom line is that I would of got it anyways since they were only ones that had one in stock. I try to buy made in the usa when I can but I just really feel cheated though! Has anyone had any problems with the NAPA pumps failing?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Not the NAPA pumps in general, but just the newer cummins pumps. I have only changed a couple of them myself, but the boss has installed over 20. Says every 60K they are failing.

·
Hootie Hooo!!!
1,139 Posts
Yep! I have replaced two oem dodge pumps on mine from the dealer after 40k miles each and they were leaking. Now on a napa pump and have probable 20k miles so far and it still looks good. So I hope we have made a good choice going with the Napa pumps :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mgraham37

·
Registered
435 Posts
I got a new Bosch water pump from Pep Boys with a lifetime warranty. Dodge wanted $359??? Pep Boys...$59.

Reactions: Mgraham37

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy cow 360 bucks from the dealer that's crazy! I didn't call the dealer for a price cause I thought they would be High but that's high way robbery!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
$360 sounds like the price for it installed, but even then, that is a little high. It only calls for 1.1 hours to replace.

·
Registered
435 Posts
$360 sounds like the price for it installed, but even then, that is a little high. It only calls for 1.1 hours to replace.
Nope. Definatly not installed. Got the price from the parts counter. I was like WTF are you kidding?

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Ya Im just about to replace my pump as well started to notice a slight leak from behind pump, call local dodge dealer and they wanted $500 for reman and $580 for new... I asked how much without install and they said that was it. I just laughed! Basically told the service guy were to go, picked up new life time warranty pump from a local parts store for $33 dollars out the door! That's sounds a little bit better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts