Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first time posting to the forums. I have an issue with my 2005 24 valve. I think that it needs a set of injectors, but before I spend the cash, I would like to hear others opinions. I was on a 50 mile trip home when I heard what I thought was the typical bad injector noises. Sure enough, when I parked and idled it, she was running pretty rough and shaky. The exhaust was smoky, and it had a bad knocking sound. There is no blow by, the injectors were replaced 4 years ago along with a 33% over CP3. I started it and drove it briefly the other day to see how it was doing. When I first start it, it doesn't start shaking and running rough until about 30 seconds have passed. Then it will run super rough and extremely smoky until I put it into gear. Once it is in gear, and has been warmed up a little bit, the shaking is gone as well as the smoke. When this problem first occurred, the truck was at operating temp. It has always been kind of ticky. Not like cummins ticks, but a different kind of tick. Cam was replaced 6 months ago along with the lifters, tappets, ect... I rebuilt the 48RE shortly after. The rail pressure seems to be good, and matches the desired pressure consistently up to 25k. I am in need of someone who has had an issue like this before. Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all, this is my first time posting to the forums. I have an issue with my 2005 24 valve. I think that it needs a set of injectors, but before I spend the cash, I would like to hear others opinions. I was on a 50 mile trip home when I heard what I thought was the typical bad injector noises. Sure enough, when I parked and idled it, she was running pretty rough and shaky. The exhaust was smoky, and it had a bad knocking sound. There is no blow by, the injectors were replaced 4 years ago along with a 33% over CP3. I started it and drove it briefly the other day to see how it was doing. When I first start it, it doesn't start shaking and running rough until about 30 seconds have passed. Then it will run super rough and extremely smoky until I put it into gear. Once it is in gear, and has been warmed up a little bit, the shaking is gone as well as the smoke. When this problem first occurred, the truck was at operating temp. It has always been kind of ticky. Not like cummins ticks, but a different kind of tick. Cam was replaced 6 months ago along with the lifters, tappets, ect... I rebuilt the 48RE shortly after. The rail pressure seems to be good, and matches the desired pressure consistently up to 25k. I am in need of someone who has had an issue like this before. Thank you
Edit
I should also add that the fuel mileage has decreased from the time I bought the truck to now. Over the course of a year, the MPG dropped from an average of about 20 to less than 13 prior to the possible injector problem.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Verify your feed tubes are torqued to spec, run a heavy dose of cleaner and lubricant like non synthetic dexron ATF and TCW3 2 stroke oil. Then pull a heavy wide load up some hills for a while trying to keep your EGTs 1000°+. Also make sure your fuel filter is good

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Verify your feed tubes are torqued to spec, run a heavy dose of cleaner and lubricant like non synthetic dexron ATF and TCW3 2 stroke oil. Then pull a heavy wide load up some hills for a while trying to keep your EGTs 1000°+. Also make sure your fuel filter is good
Thank you, I will give that a try

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I don't know how how many miles you have on your injections, but it's not uncommon for them to start failing around 170k miles. But some people have gotten over 300k miles. If there is no change after doing what I suggested, look into a contribution test.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how how many miles you have on your injections, but it's not uncommon for them to start failing around 170k miles. But some people have gotten over 300k miles. If there is no change after doing what I suggested, look into a contribution test.
They have about 35k miles on them. New from industrial injection

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same issues with my 05 ended up having a blown ring on cylinder 6. Do what GRUNT 11B said. But I’ve spoken to a few local performance diesel shops and at about your mileage and mine 05s has a known problem with there rings. It’s weird but it happens I got my injectors tested and they were good so I had the **** end of the stick with my truck I bit the bullet and rebuild it with all new seals gaskets pistons rings and bearings, parts ended costing me about 1,100 as I got a rebuild kit from Mahale and it was on sale but I’m giving you your worse case scenario so don’t be completely discouraged. You said you had smoke have you done a blowby test?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also what was your oil consumption ? My truck as soon as I blew my rings literally started sucking oil.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That’s what I’m thinking too hence my worst case scenario keep trouble shooting the fuel system if not it may be tome for a new set of injectors

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,948 Posts
I’m going through the injector blues at the moment too. Had a flow test done (for P1222) and got 300 ml in 30 seconds, and apparently spec is 180 ml in 60. I hope it’s connector torque, but kind of doubt it. 325,000 miles on my truck and I’m guessing original injectors. What is a “contribution” test? That’s different that the return flow, yes?

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I’m going through the injector blues at the moment too. Had a flow test done (for P1222) and got 300 ml in 30 seconds, and apparently spec is 180 ml in 60. I hope it’s connector torque, but kind of doubt it. 325,000 miles on my truck and I’m guessing original injectors. What is a “contribution” test? That’s different that the return flow, yes?
It will tell the performance of each injector and whether one or more is working more or less to keep things balanced. You'll be able to find a number of threads on here about a contribution test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts