Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2005 Dodge 3500 as daily driver?

3025 23
Hey guys It's wintertime over here in canada and My car is very scary in the snow to say the least so i am looking to buy a truck.

My car is a 2010 dodge charger SRT8 and i ing LOVE IT. But I need a truck for a daily driver and to bring my bikes up to the mountain on the weekend.

Now i have always loved the diesel engines and lifted diesel trucks. But my question is will it be efficient for me as a daily driver.

I DO NOT tow anything (Until i get a boat :p) The only thing i would load in the back would be tools and atvs and bikes on the weekend.

There is a stock 2005 3500 5.9l for sale for a really nice price right now, Original owner and only 145,000 KM (90098 miles for the americans) It would need new tires but i plan to lift and throw 35's on it anyway if i would purchase.

My question is the cost of the diesels worth it for daily driving compared to a gas truck or my car for instance. Seeing as I do not tow would it be better to go with gas.

I do love my srt8 with 450RWHP after some mods would I regret going with a 5.7 hemi in a truck with substantially less power compared to going cummins.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
On call 24/7
13,614 Posts
Im sure you will love the truck but get ready for about 13mpg. The 3/4 ton I get rid of got over 18 running around town but 13.8 is all I can squeeze out of this dually.

·
On call 24/7
13,614 Posts
Yes, between this auto trans and 6 285/75/17 tires, I cannot get any mileage out of this dang dually. The 98 single wheel had a turned up p-pump, big injectors, delivery valves but with a 5 speed and would average between 17.5-19.5.

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
If you can afford the diesel truck along with the higher operating cost,higher maintenance cost, higher fuel cost then Id say get a diesel as they are great. If you cant really afford the added cost and dont need to tow anything heavy very often then I would just buy a gas IMO. My 05 3500 SRW short bed I avg 18.5 on highway and about 15 in town unloaded with 285's.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
12,583 Posts
Yes, between this auto trans and 6 285/75/17 tires, I cannot get any mileage out of this dang dually. The 98 single wheel had a turned up p-pump, big injectors, delivery valves but with a 5 speed and would average between 17.5-19.5.
Ever think it mite be those big tires. All of my 4x4 drw's never got less then 14.5. That's 3 cr's and 5 2nd gens.

·
On call 24/7
13,614 Posts
Ever think it mite be those big tires. All of my 4x4 drw's never got less then 14.5. That's 3 cr's and 5 2nd gens.
Yes, except it got the same mileage with 265/70/17 that were on it before.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hey guys It's wintertime over here in canada and My car is very scary in the snow to say the least so i am looking to buy a truck.

My car is a 2010 dodge charger SRT8 and i ing LOVE IT. But I need a truck for a daily driver and to bring my bikes up to the mountain on the weekend.

Now i have always loved the diesel engines and lifted diesel trucks. But my question is will it be efficient for me as a daily driver.

I DO NOT tow anything (Until i get a boat :p) The only thing i would load in the back would be tools and atvs and bikes on the weekend.

There is a stock 2005 3500 5.9l for sale for a really nice price right now, Original owner and only 145,000 KM (90098 miles for the americans) It would need new tires but i plan to lift and throw 35's on it anyway if i would purchase.

My question is the cost of the diesels worth it for daily driving compared to a gas truck or my car for instance. Seeing as I do not tow would it be better to go with gas.

I do love my srt8 with 450RWHP after some mods would I regret going with a 5.7 hemi in a truck with substantially less power compared to going cummins.
Do you live in Ontario? If so, and you can afford the insurance on your SRT8..... you clearly have more to burn money-wise than the average diesel owner I know... go for it....

·
Goat on the Grille
2,170 Posts
I dd'd an '05 2500 for awhile and hated it. Rough ride, decent mileage and added maint cost wasn't worth it for me. Plus I don't like putting miles on my truck unless I'm using it like a truck. I've got an older honda accord I drive for work and arrends. I drive the truck when I need to pull something or go get feed for the cattle.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My 06 3500 mega dually is a DD. 75~ round trip 6 days a week. It rides rough, cost roughly $95 a week in fuel, $95 every three months for an oil change and $100 a year in fuel filters. These are all just rough numbers but if you add it up, its about $5300 a year to drive something I love and enjoy. Now its up to you to determine if its all worth it.

Reactions: VectorG

·
On call 24/7
13,614 Posts
I agree with CRASH, this is my 3rd CTD and there is a reason I keep getting them. Once you go diesel, its hard to go back. I ride around a beater corolla daily so I like to have a nice truck to drive when I want.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Buy it and don't look back!!! A gas truck just won't compare, diesel cost a little more to run but is much more capable hauling and just in general more fun.

And as was posted before sometimes you gotta pay more to drive/do something you enjoy. I don't need my 2500 every day to tow but when it's needed I have it handy. And a tank of fuel last me a month. I only drive it maybe 20 miles round trip a day.

Good luck

Sent from a black hole

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
only 90$ an oil change my SRT is 160.... i might pick one up this weekend... Theres an 05 3500 thats pearl white with a new lift pump and tranny work done for 24k with 144000km on it but he might come to 20k for me.

Theres a grey one with same km on it same year but he claims he has never done any work to tranny or front end. he is asking 20k can probably muscle him down to 17-18. his wife was in the background yelling to tell me about certain things so they need to get it sold i can tell.

Should i go with the white one, it has ATS 5 Star Torque Converter & ATS Valvebody. ATS Deep Transmission Pan
Pacbrake Exhaust Brake
Locking Hubs, Air Dog Lift Pump. Stewart Warner Boost and EGT gauge. Electric Cooling Fans. And apparent tranny work, But it needs new tires

The grey one is completley stock and apparently has never had any tranny work or anythhing just oil changes the guy said lol

·
On call 24/7
13,614 Posts
The grey truck is an sl and would never bring that kind of money down here, actually neither would but the white one does have some money into it. Between those two, I would go for the white truck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think CRASH said it all, I dd a '07 2500, it's rough, certain things cost $, but I love it, some guys are just this way

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.