Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys, im new to whole diesel scene so bare with me please. I'm trying to find some info for my grandfather. First off, he has a 2005 quad cab with the 5.9L and auto trans. Well about 3 weeks ago, he said he truck started running real rough, almost like it was missing. The very next day, he was on his way home from work and it completely shut down. It has not started up since then.

He has a mechanic friend that has been working on it for him, but the guy doesnt know much about the diesel engines. We can't really afford to just start throwing parts at and hope one will fix it.

Any ideas on where to look for a solution? btw, we have checked the fuel, and it appeared to be fine. also tried draining the lines and replacing the fuel. still no go.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You need to start by finding out what codes it has stored. Turn your key to the run posistion and then back off three times and on the third time look at your odometer and it should show you what codes are stored.

·
Registered
227 Posts
by the way.....:welcome::welcome:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will any codes show up, that wouldnt display in a normal code scanner? thanks for the help

BRIAN DRAKE said:
You need to start by finding out what codes it has stored. Turn your key to the run posistion and then back off three times and on the third time look at your odometer and it should show you what codes are stored.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i wouldnt think, did you already scan it for codes? does it show any codes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive scanned it once myself, and no codes were displayed. im not sure if the mechanic has scanned it since he has had it. i'll check though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, the mechanic says he has checked the codes several times and nothing.

what is the best route to go from here? fuel filter,fuel pump etc?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
crack the line on the relief valve on top of the rail and crank it over if fuel is present replace the relief valve. If no fuel pull the harness off the back of the fca on the back of the injection pump. try to start if no go either pull injectors and have tested or unplug the grid heaters and spray a SMALL amount of starting fluid into intake while cranking if starts but runs bad the injector or injectors are bad.Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks, i'll pass that along to the mechanic in the morning. what exactly is the fca on the back of the injector pump, sorry but im not really up on the diesel stuff too well.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
ok thanks, i'll pass that along to the mechanic in the morning. what exactly is the fca on the back of the injector pump, sorry but im not really up on the diesel stuff too well.
the only electronicplug on the back of the injection pump. I fyou remove that it will call for max rp. but it still sounds like you have a set of bad injectors that are leaking the rail pressure down and causing the truck not to start.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts