Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98' 12v 5speed that I think needs a new turbo. It has oil coming out behind the cartridge and the truck makes a whining noise and starts to kind of stumble. When I come back to idle there is a little but of whiteish smoke that comes out. At idle the truck sounds great.

I found a guy with a turbo from an 04 that he says was taken off with less than 1000 miles on the truck. Would this bolt up to my 98 12 valve? He says it comes complete with actuator , wastgate & exhuast elbow ,

·
Registered
549 Posts
If its a HE341 you don't really want that one, you want the HE351 but I don't remember which year they switched.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesnt say anything about that. I know there is no electric hookup. I have a 4" exhaust. I was wondering about the down pipe and oil hookups.

·
Registered
549 Posts
downpipes are different, oil lines will hook up. You will need an adapter flange or fab something yourself for the manifold and the IC pipe will need re-plumbed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
the electronic vgt's came on the 6.7 cummins, the He351cw is what you want, the he341 is like a hy35 to small

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the turbo i was looking at. Off of an early 04 no electrical hookups.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I might be better off to just get the SuperB then...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you tell from the pics is that a 341 or 351? Or did the 351s come out after 04? I don't know squat about Turbos.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the 341 run worse than the original stock one??? I am not looking for huge power, just something like the stock one.

Reactions: anthonyca

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well if your looking for stock like turbo run it I would if my truck were stock. I'm guessing the price is good?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, price is $400 and it looks like its in good shape. My turbo is shot and I am trying to find one. I definately don't want to lose anything over what I had stock.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i picked up a mint he351cw for $400 on this site and just got around to installing it tonight. if you don't mind pulling off the compressor housing you can jb weld where the electronic wastegate was. also while the housing is off remove the 2 alignment pins and re clock the compressor side so it looks like its for a 2nd gen. if you have a good napa by you you can get a flange for the cast elbow and a v clamp from cummins. i had a v clamp off a d-max which works perfect. all in all i have about 150 into the upgrade not including the turbo. the stock intercooler pipes will work but you need a 2.75-3 inch 45 degree boot to connect it. the he351cw and he341 bolt right up to your stock manifold but you will have to get longer studs (4.5-07 cummins studs)and drill out the top 2 threaded holes. i think i covered just about everything but if you have any questions pm me while its all fresh in my mind.

i think $400 for a he341 isn't a bad price if you want a stock turbo but not worth the fab work or labor honestly. take it easy on your stocker for now and get your hands on a he351cw off a 04.5-07 but not the 07.5 and up as they came with the he351ve(vgt)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts