Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been reading for hours and can't find any help with this so if its been covered and I missed it, I apologize for asking about it again.
I have a bone stock 2004. The dome light will not turn off. Stock bulbs, no mods, and the only way to turn off the lights is to pull all the bulbs (map and dome).
Disconnect the batteries, no help. I purchased the truck a few months ago from the original owner that never used the truck. 04 with 38,000 (when I got it).
Any suggestions, experience, help is greatly appreciated. It sucks having to use a flashlight for a dome light and the kids are always needing a light in the cab.:banging:
Thanks in advance,
David

·
Registered
64 Posts
This might seem stupid but make sure all the doors are closed sometimes those dang kids cant close them right

Reactions: BigDav

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I tried disconnecting the battery with no help. Its not a door left open or anything with the position of the switch either. The truck had the problem when I bought it. The previous owner knew of it before the truck was out of warranty but never got around to taking it to the dealership.:doh:
I don't mind taking it to the dealership to get this fixed if need be. I just can't go in with a blank check in my hand for them to have 8 thirty minute coffee/smoke breaks on my dime while trying to find the problem. I would like to have some clue of what could be causing this problem before I take the truck in.
I have read on here and other boards that others have had this same issue but I can't find anyone that has posted what fixed it. :banghead::confused013:
Thanks in advance,
David

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
maybe its in the dimmer control switch, mine is sketchy at best and if not in the exact posn it works kinda weird.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im not an expert at electical dignosis, but the first think I would do is see if there is a relay for the dome light. If there is it may be stuck in the closed position. just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Im not an expert at electical dignosis, but the first think I would do is see if there is a relay for the dome light. If there is it may be stuck in the closed position. just my two cents.
I don't believe there is a relay for them, but that was a good thought, I didn't think of that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I actually managed some free time today to tear future into this. I found the problem now I need to find a complete fix. One of the map light switches was broke at some point and it was some how allowing power to feed back through the system and keeping the map lights and the dome light on. I pulled the separated switch apart and the other lights went off. Problem found! Now I need to find a replacement switch so I can have both map lights working. At least I now have a dome light and one map light. So no more flash light/dome light.
Any suggestions on where to find just the switch or or switch harness? I went to the dealership after I found the issue and they said my only option was to purchase the complete console.:mad::banghead:
Thanks again,
David

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you have to get a whole overhead console. I had my driver map light break and stay on continuously until it burned out, then not much later the pass one did the same, except when it did, the dome light stayed on continuously also. I was told here or somewhere else that I had to get a whole new console. Luckily, there is a junkyard here that has a lot of Dodge parts and I got one for about $70. Then, I called around to car stereo shops about installing it until I found one reasonable enough. Got it done for $45 I think. If you can't find one, try Palmer Brothers in Irondale Alabama. They ship.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.