Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I just bought this truck.
All the forward gears work just no reverse. U can hear the tranny go in reverse but it dont pull at all.

Also its missing out at idle.
Give it some throttle its fine.

It has some blowby also....
It has 118,XXX miles.....

HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't know much about the autos in these things, but I would be tempted to look for an external band adjustment. I know in older autos, the reverse had a band that could be snugged up from the outside. I'd also drop some transx into it just in case it has a stuck servo. Sometimes it unsticks stuff, and everything is fine. Accent on "sometimes".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI droped the pan to adj the low/rev band and i found a metal ring about 8" around and 1/4 wide and it was broken into into peices.

I took ahold of the rev band and there 1/2 slack in it... The thing is tho i had 1st gear, It worked fine just little to no reverse.

Hope this ant a rebuild..
I bought the trauck like this..
What could this ring be??

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My experience with autos tops out at peeking at the guy in the next stall, but that part kind of sounds like a basket retainer ring. The ring that holds a basket full of clutch/friction plates in the basket. Just like a motorcycle wet clutch. Kinda sounds like a teardown to me. I don't know about a rebuild, but my coworkers who did autos told me that they are pretty simple as long as you stay out of the valve body. They were referring to Turbo Hydra's though. Much simpler, I would guess, than what you've got.

Bummer, man. Hope this wasn't a surprise AFTER you bought it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YES it was a very big surprise.....
I didnt use rev when i took it for a test drive....

Also a lot of the electronics dont work LIKE windsheld wipes, over head display, int lights, No fuses are blown...
BUt GET THIS i unhooked the battey and reconnected it and the wipers came on so i know t hay work. anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Sounds like someone's tryin to get the best of you !

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
You have some issues there.

Ok, can you post up a picture of the ring you found?

Next question, does it have Neutral? Or does it still try and pull forward?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue

I am having a similar issue, it just started today. Every other gear seems to work as advertised, but when it goes into reverse, i feel it try and shift, but when the engine revs, i get nothing. It doesn't move. Neutral works fine. Anyone manage to find a fix for this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts