Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I have a 2004 diesel. I have been reading up on glow plugs/heater grids. Where the truck is older, how do you know when it is time to replace the heater grid? What all is involved in it?

·
On call 24/7
12,632 Posts
Grid heaters in our trucks are not wear items like glow plugs in the fords. Do you have reason to believe its not working?

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
2020 3500 HO 4x4 SRW CCLB
630 Posts
Define older.

My 2004.5 starts every time all the time except when the 13 year old factory batteries finally gave out. Only 72K miles, but plenty of cold Colorado mornings - though it's not a daily.

Unless you're having starting issues now, don't sweat it.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice. I have a 2004 diesel. I have been reading up on glow plugs/heater grids. Where the truck is older, how do you know when it is time to replace the heater grid? What all is involved in it?
:welcome:
no glow plugs on Cummins.
ECM monitors controls grid heater, If control issue , 99.9% time you going to see code.
The other .01% battery power connection issue ie low voltage shown with external multimeter is pointing to power supply issue to grid heaters.
Properly fueling 3rd gen with good compression/good batteries, unless way below zero degrees ambient, does not really need grid heaters, an emissions add on to keep EPA happy:wink2:

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am getting the run around from mechanics where I live. Was told that I would have to replace glow plugs/heater grid due to it taking a while for the pre-glow light to turn off. I live in an area that has been experiencing -50C for the better part of the winter. I think it is just too cold. They say replace parts.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I think I am getting the run around from mechanics where I live. Was told that I would have to replace glow plugs/heater grid due to it taking a while for the pre-glow light to turn off. I live in an area that has been experiencing -50C for the better part of the winter. I think it is just too cold. They say replace parts.
I believe anything below -18C the grid heater is supposed to cycle for 30 seconds if memory serves me correctly. Then between -18C and -10C it's 15 seconds and between -10C and 15C it's 10 seconds. Anything above 10C is no cycle.

So you should be seeing 30 second cycles and it's normal.

·
Registered
588 Posts
At -50C, everything is going to react a little differently than what most people here are accustomed to. Expect lengthy cycles of the grid heater even after the engine has started. At those temperatures, cycling the grid heater a couple of times is a good idea prior to starting the truck. The wait to start cycle will be noticeably extended at those temps - that is damn cold! Cycle times below -18C could easily be 30 seconds.

On another note, nobody needs to guess if the grid heater heating element is underperforming. Assuming the electrical is good and the heater is getting power, a simple Ohm test will confirm if the element is in spec or not.

Resistance values are as follows...but any decent mechanic would have access to this diagnostic information:

Ambient Temperature °C Resistance (ohms)
-40 291k-382k
-20 85k-108k
-10 49k-61k
0 29k-36k

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I think I would find another mechanic to get info from if he thinks you need to replace glow plugs. Were there any tests performed on the grid heater?

·
Registered
2020 3500 HO 4x4 SRW CCLB
630 Posts
I think the recommendation to cycle the grid heater more than once below 0F is in the OM, I've always done it when below zero. Thankfully I've not had to endure -50 (F) but once since leaving Wisconsin for a spell 80-88 and for good in 92 and that was when I was caught in the big freeze working in Chicago last year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Plug it in during the winter and you'll be fine. I've always plugged it in at home and at work during the winter's, It makes starting alot easier. 2004 early Dodge

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Ambient temp -58 Fahrenheit degrees WOW!
In that case you'll want at a minimum winter front, grid heaters functioning and
Truck should be plugged ie block heater/battery heaters, batteries will freeze,
https://www.allmoparparts.com/part/battery-blanket.html
heater on oil pan, since factory block heater (750 watt) not going to be real effective at those temps.
info here https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/...454-oil-pan-heater-results-winter-coming.html

Webastos might be better option or if power is issue at remote site.
https://www.webasto-comfort.com/en-...ht-medium-duty-work-vehicles/coolant-heaters/

·
Registered
765 Posts
Are you using the block heater?
If not, you definitely need to in those temps.
Once your started up for the day it should be fine, but overnight you'll want to plug in the block heater for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts