Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2004 chattering when making a left turn

1067 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  REELNATIVE
my 04 makes a chattering feeling when starting from a dead stop turning left up until i hit about 15mi pr hr you can feel it in the wheel it wont do it with the tires going strt and i havnt felt it making a right hand turn, if im tooling down the road and slow down to 5mi per hr and make a left turn it wont do it its only from a dead stop, also about a week ago I was towing a 6000lb trailer with a 7000lb ford tractor on it and it did it when i made just a very slight left turn and was rolling not from a dead stop, i can stomp down on it going strait and it wont do it, at first I thought it was the tranny slipping thats kinda what it feels like. can anyone send me off in the right direction, ive got tools in hand. thanks
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not really making any noise it just feels like im going over mini speed bumps you can feel it in the wheel, it kinda feels like the tranny is slipping, but it only does it while turning

· Registered
21 Posts
I agree. Check front u joints. Mine both made noise at low speed and on corners at about 50k.

· Registered
266 Posts
if you have a posi axle rear axle try adding a bottle of the friction modifier and doing several figure 8 s in a parking lot.Otherwise I agree u joints are a prime target to check as well.

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would of went that direction but I just had the steelership do both my front and rear diffs and when I looked inside them there was nothing but gears and no disks, I asked the mecanic and he said yes I have a limited slip but in these trucks its done with gears locking up, I bought my truck used with 89k on it, the guy did take good care of the truck but im sure its time for some new parts in the running gear, my last 2500 i only got 55k out of it before a front berring packege went south on me, I about choked when I found out that was gonna cost me 400.00 plus a half day of my time, I went to a junk yard and found a nice lo mi wrecked one and got the hub out of it for 65.00and put 25k on it till I totaled that truck into a nice old lady in a t-bird that was late for church and she blew a red lite and i t-boned her doing 50, I hit her on sunday and knocked her into next week

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.