Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 113,000 miles on 04 the front ball joints took a crap. I dropped the truck off at a local shop and all four front ball joints needed to be replaced. Heres what I got, both uppers are moog adjustable, the lowers are moog, and an alignment out the door for $1045. Sounds allitle high, whats your opinion? Basically it has to get fixed, you could move the tire from side to side they were so loose and worn.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds a bit high...If you figure $100 per ball joint for parts and 75 for an alignment thats $475 that leaves $570 for labor, it took me 6.5 hours to do it myself when I had never done them before, you figure a shop guy could probably do it in 4, that makes labor costs like 142.50/hr....It may be right, but it sounds high to me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
thats really high. . . my local guy quoted me 650 for four ball joints. . . ended up doing it myself for around 300 bucks for all four. . . they were spicers. . . granted i got them off rockauto and mechs have a higher mark up. a grand is alot for ball joints and an average mech can do it under 5 hours with the right tools.

Gotta remeber work is slow for them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm looking for a truck new to me truck. Most of the ones I'm looking at have about 100K on them. How can I look and tell to see if the ball joints are going bad or if they have been replaced?

·
Registered
64 Posts
A good way to check to see if they are good or not is jack the truck up so that the tire is just barely off the ground, put a long breaker bar between the tire and the ground and pry up, if the tire moves up and down or you can see movement in the joint then it is no good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A good way to check to see if they are good or not is jack the truck up so that the tire is just barely off the ground, put a long breaker bar between the tire and the ground and pry up, if the tire moves up and down or you can see movement in the joint then it is no good.

Any way to do this while on a dealer lot?

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
don't mean to:hijack: but those of you who changed them yourselves, how hard was it, did you need any tools?

·
Registered
79 Posts
yah a ball joint press and i had to soak my hubs in oil overnite

·
Registered
531 Posts
Tell the dealer you want to personally check them. Have them put it on the lift and just barely lift it up. If you go there and say you are ready to make a purchase but wont unles you can look the vehicle over yourself they may do it.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
i dont think it is unreasonable its a 6 hour job by the book on a 4x4 so thats under 100 dollars an hour for labor. i have changed mine myself twice know and they are bad again so i am going to pay about that to have mine done at dobbs tire and auto because they offer a lifetime warrenty on parts and labor

·
Registered
64 Posts
A ball joint press and like a 44mm socket(I think) for the hub nut, those were the 2 things I needed special...Air tools will help a lot too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would also recommend a mopar ball joint, side to side next to the adjustable moog, the moog looks pretty cheesy and weak. jmo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought my own "both uppers are moog adjustable, the lowers are moog" from summit for $420 then went to local garage and was out the door with alignment for $340.. Total $760

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought my own "both uppers are moog adjustable, the lowers are moog" from summit for $420 then went to local garage and was out the door with alignment for $340.. Total $760
whats your opinion on the moog ball joints?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I paid around $400 at Orielly's for the four Moog balljoints. I had a Dodge dealer install them for about $400. I used the dealer since they replace a lot of BJ and have the right tools and lots of experience :>).

Pete

·
Never Enough TQ
864 Posts
I would also recommend a mopar ball joint, side to side next to the adjustable moog, the moog looks pretty cheesy and weak. jmo
Ive found that mopars wear out real fast compared to the moog or spicer sets.. and arent mopar joints not greasable?

·
Registered
531 Posts
That's correct. I've never seen a greasable Mopar joint. IMO a truck like ours should have many grease points on it. The whole sealed for life deal is a joke if you ask me.

·
Never Enough TQ
864 Posts
That's correct. I've never seen a greasable Mopar joint. IMO a truck like ours should have many grease points on it. The whole sealed for life deal is a joke if you ask me.
I very much agree with you!
i dont understand why they would put a ungreasable part that lasts on average 100,000Kms on a truck that lasts about 4-5-6-700,000kms?? how much does it really cost them to throw in a nipple?

·
Registered
833 Posts
also look at the quad 4x4 website they have tools and great ball joints that will last..nothing cheesy here..thats where I'll be getting mine...OTC also sells the kit for the ball joints for big dodge...allow a day and take yer time...soaking the hubs in oil is a great idea...and upon reassemby..no seize...just my .02 here or .01 USD as yours is worth more..

this is an awesome write up

How to ( BALL JOINTS ) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well just got the truck back, feals like its new again! Both uppers and lowers are greeseable. I think next im gonna order all new steering, stablizer and a steering brace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts