Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys here is a link to a step by step video I shot doing the replacement of my pistons, rod bearings, ARP rod bolts, EXOTIC head studs and BBI stage 1 injectors from Diesel power products. I used the PAI overhaul kit from Industrial injection, it was very high quality with every little part needed to rebuild your Cummins. This video primarily focuses on jacking up the motor once the head has been removed, oil pan removal with engine in truck,piston removal, basic cylinder honing with the 240 grit flex hone, piston to rod installation, ring installation gapping and positioning, piston and rod installation back into motor. Approximately 5 minutes in I found the reason for my 2 quart per week oil consumption and blow by, I had 4 broken compression rings due to faulty injectors by neglect by the previous owner.

The truck now runs FANTASTIC with the Reman BBI stage 1 injectors, PAI pistons, rings, rod bearings, new head gasket, ARP rod bolts and Exotic head studs.

BBI injectors live up to the hype and then some, you would have to see it and drive it to believe it they produce incredible power with the SMARTY SR on 5 and are very quiet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Awesome video! I've been contemplating doing this to my truck since I like knowing exactly what's in my truck. Especially since it had 180k on it when I bought it. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to do this!

Reactions: bigislandblake

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the positive feedback on the video, I made it fill in the gaps for anyone else wondering how do an in frame on our trucks. It really serves as a good warning to do your injectors. These reman BBI stage 1s are AWESOME man, and only $2250 from DPP. There are a few videos out there But there wasnt much on how to properly install pistons, Rings ect and proper block honing. I also thought it was very useful for people to know how to pull the oil pan easily with the engine in the truck. If I had more time I would have shown all the small details of removal of the fuel system and head but this video assumes the user knows how to do that if they were getting this far into the motor. The PAI kit came with perfectly gapped rings and was very very good quality and had every tiny piece for about 900$. Let me know if you have any questions and this motor is great to work on and incredible to drive!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Loved the video. I did mine in frame too. Except I removed the transmission because I had to replace my rear main seal. Been about 4k miles. Turbo seals went shortly afterwards, I think because debris got in it while I finished. There was another guy that posted a video and I gained confidence watching his.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you like it, it’s pretty incredible how much power And torque a fresh 5.9 Cummins has I’m sure you know after doing yours! What rebuild kit did you use? Also I did ARP rod bolts and used the supplied lubricant and did the three stage torque finishing at 95 ftlbs. The motor feels very smooth With the BBIs and PAI overhaul kit. was really happy with the head studs by Exotic. They make a good product as well.
Did you end up upgrading to a better turbo or rebuild your HE351cw?
I’m gonna order the Stage 2 trans rebuild kit and torque converter from Suncoast next. The engine puts out so much torque now I have to be careful. Do you think a Valve body for now will help up line pressure and help it hold a bit better at leas for a couple months?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't really want to let the world know I bought a cheap eBay turbo 🙄. But it was really to get the truck back on the road. I had planned to rebuild mine but the shaft was messed up. And yes, I think the valvebody will be great. Also on my list too. I'm taking my first big maiden voyage tomorrow towing my 16' enclosed trailer across 3 states with steep grades. Hopefully this will seat my rings fully.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Try Dynamic ,Goerend or Muldoons for valve body Suncoast is not what it used to be.;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try Dynamic ,Goerend or Muldoons for valve body Suncoast is not what it used to be.;)
Thanks for the links, gonna call one of the 3 you listed I like the Goerend reviews.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome video! I've been contemplating doing this to my truck since I like knowing exactly what's in my truck. Especially since it had 180k on it when I bought it. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to do this!
Thanks man, I made it for those of us who just need to see a few more things to speed up the process and know exactly what they will find When doing an inframe. I had no idea the PAI kit would be this good either, and for 900$ I basically have a new motor with a few days of work. With more time I would have done every little detail prior to taking the head off and head removal but I figure there are plenty of videos on that. If you have any questions when you go to do yours I’ll do my best to get back to you.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What did you use to hone the bores?

·
Registered
373 Posts
A flex stone bottle brush. I had to get a right angle adapter for the back 2 cylinders.

I just finish a 600 mile round trip tour of Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee pulling a loaded 16' trailer. Truck did awesome. Trans temps, coolant, egts and oil pressure all stayed in check. Rings still aren't seated. No smoke either. I had to add about 2 quarts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A transmission will be in my near future. What have you noticed going down hill with Suncoast?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
A flex stone bottle brush. I had to get a right angle adapter for the back 2 cylinders.

I just finish a 600 mile round trip tour of Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee pulling a loaded 16' trailer. Truck did awesome. Trans temps, coolant, egts and oil pressure all stayed in check. Rings still aren't seated. No smoke either. I had to add about 2 quarts.
Take the truck to a dyno. Small price to pay to have it worked hard and get the rings seated properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quick Update- I contacted Jon Elford at Dynamic and ordered the Stage 3 650hp trans build. His friends at Diesel Connection in Post Falls will be installing the trans on the 10th as I don’t have the time do put it in myself. It has the Goerend Billet triple disk and an impressive parts list in the stage 3 build. Great guy to talk to and has an incredible knowledge base on these transmissions. Dynamic Transmission in Eastern WA is a great place to have your trans built! I will let you guys know how she drives and handles the torque and power

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
Johns a great guy , I have a vb he built me I need to get installed .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts