Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Dodge Diesel. It is a 2004 24v 4X4. I have a question regarding the oil pressure. When I start it cold, the oil pressure goes up to 40+ and stays there until the thermostat opens and when I let off the accelerator or slow down to stop. The oil pressure goes down. It does stay within the safe zone. But from what I have heard, it should stay at or above the 40 at all times. What do I need to fix? thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
needel should stay vertical or higher all the time..................mine drops little lower but l got 760,xxxmiles on my 2003

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,023 Posts
Just bought my first Dodge Diesel. It is a 2004 24v 4X4. I have a question regarding the oil pressure. When I start it cold, the oil pressure goes up to 40+ and stays there until the thermostat opens and when I let off the accelerator or slow down to stop. The oil pressure goes down. It does stay within the safe zone. But from what I have heard, it should stay at or above the 40 at all times. What do I need to fix? thank you
Sounds normal to me. My needle goes just a needle width past 40 when its hot.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,566 Posts
the stock oil pressure gage will do that. i have an 04 and it stays right at 40 while your at speed, but goes to the lowest safe zone to the left when at a red light.
this is once it warms up. in the morning it stays at 40 until it hits operatiing temp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information

That is what I thought. Just needed someone else to tell me that that is the way things should be. Nice to see someone getting lots of miles out of their truck. I will post again once the dealer gets done with it. Claims they have to do a re-flash on it. I don't know how that will fix the oil pressure, but I am not a diesel mechanic. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elephantrider, Your truck is a 2004.5 which means you have a 24v engine, is that correct? I wonder why the 04.5's do that and not the 2003's as seen in the post after my original post? How many miles are on your truck. I have 30K on mine. Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts