Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I might end up buying another 2003 Dodge with a manual tranny. The rig has 80k miles and is white and very clean. It has just a straight pipe and that is it.

The globe plug light goes off and after that when your about to start it. The damn thing doesn't start, it turns over but doesn't want to start. Has power. Also the in the cluster,the 4 gauges on the side DO NOT MOVE.:confused013:. No oil or battery or fuel.Only 2 that move are the RPM and the Speedometer from what it looks like.

Put in a OBD II Scanner and it says LOSS OF COMMUNICATION. Like there is no ground or power going to it.

What should I check guys?Any info since the truck only has 80k on it.

·
Cummins Fanatic/INJECTION PUMP TECH ADVISOR
436 Posts
Check all you fuses. I haven't run into it much on Dodge trucks but a lot of the time it's the cigarette lighter or 12V power outlet fuse. If they all check out then it may mean extensive wiring diagnoses is required.

Did this just happen out of the blue or did you have any other issues before hand?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
Fryolated ECM will do that. I don't know if you can verify fuel pressure, but if the FCA isn't getting a signal from the ecm it won't pulse and won't let fuel in to start. If you have a meter you can stick the probes in the connector for it and see if any voltage is coming to it. I'll be a PWM signal so it will be all over the place but if it moves then you have some activity from the ECM.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason I knew you would do that Brian haha. I knew it was the Grid Heater, but I have to be Technical and look smart!lol.

Anymore thoughts?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
I really think the ECM is the only thing controlling all those gauges, so barring a fuse blown somewhere, or a power/ground wire melted through those are your only options

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hey yall new to the site, I have an 03 that was running fine yesterday. I dove home and parked it. we had a really windy snow storm blow in and now it won't start. I turn the key on and wait for the heater light to go off, all guages are good and show power. Once the yellow start light goes off i tried to crank and I got nothin. i checked the starter relay and it looks fine. any ideas???

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
Hey yall new to the site, I have an 03 that was running fine yesterday. I dove home and parked it. we had a really windy snow storm blow in and now it won't start. I turn the key on and wait for the heater light to go off, all guages are good and show power. Once the yellow start light goes off i tried to crank and I got nothin. i checked the starter relay and it looks fine. any ideas???
first start i can think of is a fuel problem, either a dead lift pump, water in fuel, bad injector, or geled fuel, how cold did it get?

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
it only got down to about 15, and I have never had a problem at lower temps before. I did just put in a new lift and injector pump in the last two months. I have not purged my filter housing in a bit though. could it be a starter? oh and I have 96k on it right now. thanks for the quick response. ps i am not much of a gear head but i am workin on it.

·
SNAFU
3,369 Posts
Tigerhawk, have you checked for codes yet? cycle the key on,off,on,off,on,off,on then leave it on, some codes will flash up on your odometer telling you what could be wrong with your truck.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
no I have not done that. I used to have a quadzilla chip in my truck and i think that I may still have codes from that also, but I will check for codes. Do you guys have a way to check out what the codes mean???

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,249 Posts
no I have not done that. I used to have a quadzilla chip in my truck and i think that I may still have codes from that also, but I will check for codes. Do you guys have a way to check out what the codes mean???
i have more money in it than i planned to spend at the start, and looking to put more in it, ill pm you, and get me the codes, ill tell you what it means, there is also a list on here, and you can do the key trick and dont have to have a code reader to get it...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure if this applies to you or not but my 03' has had the gages/gauges go out and I mean everything goes to zero including the overhead MPG read out. Odometer reads exactly what it had at the time of the drop out and stays there. This has happend several times and the dealer has changed everthing from the ECU/ECM, dash cluster, a few harnesses, you name it. Also the check engine light will flash and the dinger will ding, sometimes the gages will drop to zero then come right back. All the time the engine runs perfectly. I've actually driven 30 or so miles with the no gages as I didn't have a good place to stop (snowstorm) and didn't want to risk it not starting back up. It got to the point where the dealer said we have no idea and honestly don't know were to go from here. Suposedly the Tech center had a look and it's a mystery to all. Go figure. good news is it's seems to keep running and starting. So i guess you can run without gauges.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lift pump

Hey, I just joined and ever one has helped me save money already. The lift pump went out on my 2003 and the Dodge dealer said 1100.00 to replace it with an in tank pump....Man.... I checked it out here and was told to tap on the pump to start it and that should get it home and did, then bought a Carter for 195.50 and replaced it myself (easy) and I'm up and running again ....THANKS TO ALL !!!!!.. I love this site.......R.F.M.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts