Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at 2003 Cummins and was curious about the options in the truck. What months were the SO engines replaced by HO engines and what manual transmissions did the 2003's have.....5 or 6 speed? anything problematic in this year truck?

· On call 24/7
13,747 Posts
03 had HO and SO all year long but the valve cover will tell you what it is. The SO mainly used a 47re but I have heard some had the 48re. Only HO had 6speeds and the SO had 5speeds. Injectors were somewhat problematic with these trucks but I really dont think they were any worse than any other 3rd gen. The front ends on all these dodges wear out too.

· Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what fails the quickest on the front end?

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
weak point on the 03's are the filter canister mounted lift pumps, but if you get one i recommend the 6-spd, i have thrown a ton at mine and it held up good, no problems yet... and they dont really have bad injector problems, havent had a single one with mine yet, and hasnt thrown a cel light that i didnt cause myself... has ran like a tops...

· On call 24/7
13,747 Posts
Balljoints usually go first

· Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how bad are those filter canister lift pumps?

· On call 24/7
13,747 Posts
Im still on the stock lift pump at 95k but the real problem is you need a 3 micron filter and all you can get is a 5. You really need an external filter setup or an airdog/fass.

· Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
any other issues on the truck besides front end and injectors? I was going to put larger injectors in after i bought the truck BTW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.