Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am a 16 year old that Is trying to swap my dads 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 engine and AUTOMATIC tranny into the body of a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 that had a MANUAL tranny. The 2003 has a bent frame but the rest of the truck was fine so we wanted to salvage it so we bought a 2005 with no engine or tranny. So far everything has gone okay I swapped the dash and interior over and removed the engine of the 03 but I’m noticing several wiring differences. Any help would be greatly appreciated and any tips on swapping this over.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Wiring changed in MY 03 on early 3rd gens.
Is there a PCM on firewall as well as ECM on engine, early 03 or just ECM which is really more like your 05?
Either way you and your father should learn how to read wiring diagrams if you are working on 3rd gen.
Info on wiring diagrams and connector pinouts are available in FSM section 8w here Newbies guide to your new to you truck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the pcm is on firewall and the ecm on the block and the 05 does not have the pcm so I’m guessing I have to just swap it all over then? Including tipm and all those harnesses probably. Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiring changed in MY 03 on early 3rd gens.
Is there a PCM on firewall as well as ECM on engine, early 03 or just ECM which is really more like your 05?
Either way you and your father should learn how to read wiring diagrams if you are working on 3rd gen.
Info on wiring diagrams and connector pinouts are available in FSM section 8w here Newbies guide to your new to you truck
yes the pcm is on firewall and the ecm on the block and the 05 does not have the pcm so I’m guessing I have to just swap it all over then? Including tipm and all those harnesses probably. Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
So use 03 FSM for wiring diagrams, Its really dependent on if you have good electrical parts in 03., and keeping in mind 05 ECM would require dealing with APPS and trans control and tuning for 03 injectors/pistons/turbo.
If 03 had no issues I would use those parts. Things I can think of include ECM, APPS, PCM,CC Vacuum pump , Cluster , and wiring.

Is 03 truck electric 4wd could be other issue ??

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
My only comment is I applaud you for your knowledge and motivation. Not many kids like you that are mechanically inclined and motivated to do that type of work.
I'd say not many kids anymore (I'm old enough to be your dad, have 13 & 17 year old boys), but thinking back, I can only think of a handful of kids out of the dozens that I hung out with throughout middle and high school that had squat for mechanical aptitude.
Carry on and be proud of your accomplishments!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
My only comment is I applaud you for your knowledge and motivation. Not many kids like you that are mechanically inclined and motivated to do that type of work.
I'd say not many kids anymore (I'm old enough to be your dad, have 13 & 17 year old boys), but thinking back, I can only think of a handful of kids out of the dozens that I hung out with throughout middle and high school that had squat for mechanical aptitude.
Great comment. Although I'm 35 now, I was one of the few growing up who had any interest in anything mechanical like this. My old man had me washing parts in gasoline as young as I could remember.

Big undertaking and it's great you're taking this on OP. Please keep this thread updated with some pics if you have the time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So use 03 FSM for wiring diagrams, Its really dependent on if you have good electrical parts in 03., and keeping in mind 05 ECM would require dealing with APPS and trans control and tuning for 03 injectors/pistons/turbo.
If 03 had no issues I would use those parts. Things I can think of include ECM, APPS, PCM,CC Vacuum pump , Cluster , and wiring.

Is 03 truck electric 4wd could be other issue ??
Yeah 03 has no electrical problems and the 05 didn’t come with engine or tranny so don’t have the ecm for that. The 03 is not an electric 4wd. I started taking out the wiring in the 03 today not gonna be fun haha but excited to get this thing goin!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! Means a lot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great comment. Although I'm 35 now, I was one of the few growing up who had any interest in anything mechanical like this. My old man had me washing parts in gasoline as young as I could remember.

Big undertaking and it's great you're taking this on OP. Please keep this thread updated with some pics if you have the time!
I got a few pictures I’ll try to keep it updated or just post them when I’m finished!

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Yeah 03 has no electrical problems and the 05 didn’t come with engine or tranny so don’t have the ecm for that. The 03 is not an electric 4wd. I started taking out the wiring in the 03 today not gonna be fun haha but excited to get this thing goin!
Yeah just double check wiring if using any wiring from 05 it does have some different pin outs and/or connectors.
just take your time probably best to clean/protect all connectors, I use silicon spray, to avoid future issues.
Good time to deal with stock fuel pump and it's problematic wiring, which can damge ECM if pump shorts out
If possible use 05 intank pump and wire in 12 volt relay using old feed as trigger.
Best to get Baldwin PF7977 fuel filter at a minimum in stock housing or better yet add on -3 micron fuel filtering bigger water separation.;)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good luck kid, or should I say young man. This is a great age to learn this type of stuff especially with your father. And kudos for seeking information and help (when you need it) from a community of fellow gearheads.

Stories like this just hit in the best way. Instead of being a champion at Street Fighter 15 you're actually putting your mind to use and fixing a problem.

Good luck young man and keep us posted. Also kudos to your father as well, he's raising you right.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,948 Posts
I got a few pictures I’ll try to keep it updated or just post them when I’m finished!
Good on you Spencer. It is a big project, but you seem up to it. Welcome to the forum family, and definitely let us know how you make out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts