Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help with this issue I'm having. I am working on a 2003 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. 229,000 miles. Initial complaint was a really rough idle and lots of white smoke. I did a cutout test. All 6 cylinders fluctuated at idle when I cut them out individually. I bumped the idle up to 1,000 RPM's and did a cutout. #4 injector did not change when it was cut out at 1,000 RPM's.

To start things off, I did a head gasket test. OK. Checked for blow-by with the oil fill cap removed. OK. Changed fuel filter. Found bacteria in filter (Minnesota Truck with Bio Diesel). Added bacteria treatment and fuel injector cleaner.

So I diagnosed the problem as a faulty injector #4. I removed and replaced all 6 injectors. Issue seems to have gotten better, but still smokes white and has a surge at 40-50 MPH. It feels likes its missing. Seems to have good power still. Accelerates great, but still smokes excessively.

Background on the truck, truck was bought with previously installed edge tuner. I have tried running the truck with and without the tuner hooked up and the issues seems to stay the same. Truck has been sitting and seen minimal run time for 6 months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Check for codes? ECM controls fuel
Check cylinder 4 again? swap injector, if same probably , damaged cylinder or valves.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What injectors did you get? It's also possible, just bad luck, if you got remans that are junk that they are causing near similar issues and it's why things feel slightly different but didn't resolve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help with this issue I'm having. I am working on a 2003 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 Cummins. 229,000 miles. Initial complaint was a really rough idle and lots of white smoke. I did a cutout test. All 6 cylinders fluctuated at idle when I cut them out individually. I bumped the idle up to 1,000 RPM's and did a cutout. #4 injector did not change when it was cut out at 1,000 RPM's.

To start things off, I did a head gasket test. OK. Checked for blow-by with the oil fill cap removed. OK. Changed fuel filter. Found bacteria in filter (Minnesota Truck with Bio Diesel). Added bacteria treatment and fuel injector cleaner.

So I diagnosed the problem as a faulty injector #4. I removed and replaced all 6 injectors. Issue seems to have gotten better, but still smokes white and has a surge at 40-50 MPH. It feels likes its missing. Seems to have good power still. Accelerates great, but still smokes excessively.

Background on the truck, truck was bought with previously installed edge tuner. I have tried running the truck with and without the tuner hooked up and the issues seems to stay the same. Truck has been sitting and seen minimal run time for 6 months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sounds crazy, but check for air flow. Air filter clogged and such... my buddy's truck did the same thing and there was a rag in the tube after the air filter...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts