Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, figure I'll get this thing started.

Some on here are aware, but for those that aren't, back in July I apparently lost the oil pump in my 03 and tossed a rod through the block. Perfect timing, as it was roughly 3 months after my 07 got back up and running from an engine rebuild. These Common Rails are.......expensive.:doh: :hehe:

So today I bought an 07 6.7 with 107,000 miles on it from a salvage yard. It should arrive here Monday or Tuesday. 90 day guarantee, ran for a half hour by the yard before put up for sale. Should arrive with everything except the front accessories and starter.

So far the list on top of the engine:

-Fleece Performance VNT controller
-5" Flo-Pro exhaust w/tip
-S&B cold air intake
-Edge Insite CTS and EGT probe, plus mounting.
-Intake horn*
-EGR cooler block off plates*
-3.5" boost tube*
-CCV vent*. I'm going to look into loosing the filter under the cover.
-ARP headstuds*, which seem to be sold out everywhere I looked for some reason. (* are yet to be ordered)

I intend to show everything involved in this swap, as there seems to be a lot of misinformation and mystery still surrounding the swap. Accompanied by pics of course. Hopefully it's as easy as I think it is

·
Registered
780 Posts
I've been waiting for this thread. I'm tuned in for photos. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Subscribed.... Can't wait:thumbsup:

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The swap candidate

Yep, stock and BORING. That'll change after it gets a Sport conversion, Electric Blue paintjob, tinted, and leveled and 20's/35's:drool2:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Since the engine will already be out of the truck how about a set of billet connecting rods. :stirpot: I keep reading about broken stock 6.7 connecting rods.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
So what's with these early common rails dropping rods?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting i will stay tuned!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been wondering about this swap myself, just to get a 68RFE in an older, pre-DPF truck.

Plus I like my '05 and don't really want anything newer.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I've been wondering about this swap myself, just to get a 68RFE in an older, pre-DPF truck.

Plus I like my '05 and don't really want anything newer.
The 68RFE is a good transmission, I love it in my dad's 2010 Ram. However, it's nowhere near as strong nor could be built as strong as the 48RE.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 68RFE is a good transmission, I love it in my dad's 2010 Ram. However, it's nowhere near as strong nor could be built as strong as the 48RE.
I briefly had an '08. That tranny was the best part about the truck.
I think it would be plenty strong enough for stock HP levels and I want the double overdrive.
From what I've read on the 48RE, the gap between 3rd and 4th is too wide when towing heavy up hills.

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Engine's here at the terminal. If I can only get this 84 to start.....I could go get it:doh:

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Looks pretty clean. But there's an aweful lot of chit that needs to come off:hehe:

The Fleece controller is here, the EGR cooler plates, intake horn, boost tube, a new CCV filter, and CCV vent, intake and exhaust, is all here. Just need to yank the 5.9, set them side-by-side, and then I'll know exactly what differences I'm looking at.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
That's a lot of crap on that engine. I guess most of it is EGR stuff eh?

1 - 20 of 257 Posts