Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I basically inherited this 03 2500 SLT 5.9 2wd Ram.

It is sagging in the front so I am looking to put new coils, shocks, and a lift/level but- I am having issues identifying the front differential for the right parts AND....

There ain't a front diff to be found!!

Is this a solid axle, dead axle or something else? I have Googled my eyes out and searched so many threads for an answer but to no avail!

Can one of y'all experienced folks help a brother out please?

Much thanks! :giggle:

----------

---------
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
234 Posts
It is a 2wd, just like you said in your first sentence. It is not a 4wd. It will not have a front differential.

Reactions: Ram|T

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is a 2wd, just like you said in your first sentence. It is not a 4wd. It will not have a front differential.
Thanks for the reply! I suppose I'm showing my ignorance but I'm new to the club and any pieces of the puzzle are appreciated! 👍👍👍

For the 3rd gen 2wd the spring options are IFS, leveling, or solid axle. Guess I'm trying to determine if I need leveling or IFS since the solid axle is a Dana or AAM. 🙂

4,048 Posts
That is the excellent 3rd Gen 2wd IFS. Double A-arms and rack and pinion steering.
It is/was an excellent steering handling front suspension that Dodge/RAM/Fiat foolishly discontinued in about 2014.

Do a search on this forum for 2wd front springs and it will bring up several aftermarket coil spring options.
Plus check the upper and lower balljoints, wheel bearings, sway bar links and brakes.
Bilstein makes excellent shocks for this suspension.

Your 18+ year old 2003 truck will likely have many issues to resolve before you start modding/lifting it.

Reactions: Klausenheimer

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looking closer on your pics, you will need the following...
1. Sway bar end links, both of them are disconnected
2. Bump stops, both look like they are missing
3. Springs and shocks
4. Check for movement, and plan for new ball joints and upper control arms, and lower control arm bushings
5. Might as well get new tie rod ends, and check for play on the inner tie rod ends

If you aren’t mechanically inclined, get a reputable shop to quote it, and perform an alignment when complete.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys for your responses! I'm going to look into the parts mentioned and see about replacing them. Don't know much about steering/suspension. Motors are my specialty!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.