Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge ram Quad cab 2500 5,9 24v 2003 4wd auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I have some problems with my truck when "warm". It will start easy when cold, goes as it should ( i think). If I drive it up to work Temperature and shuts it and wait 10 minutes it will start but a little longer crank. Do I wait 30 minuts and try to start it it will not start. But i have noticed if i let The lift pump prime for just one sec and then unplugg it it will start. Why so? The injectors is change 6k ago.

I have Checked The common rail pressure when cranking, was around 500 bar, 7250 psi.

Changed fuel filter
Changed crank sensor
Adjust valves
I Checked how much The lift pump pumped out in 10 sec when cranking was more than The 560ml i read it would pump out.

I Have a bully dog box on it
I have a fault code on overboost.
My fan clutch has The cables ripped off but would that cause something like this?

Would be very grateful for tips and ideas!

Greetings from sweden

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
RP is too high , 03-04 should be 5000+/- at idle.
Go back to stock, does truck behave the same with no tuner?
Should fix fan clutch wires, other sensors/ECM can be affected by wiring issue, ie some sensors share voltage to it.
what's code number?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Checked The rp when it was at stock mode.

Yeah The fan clutch Will be fixed, saw that rockauto hade both regular and reverse rotating? What do i have?

The fault code is : po234

3,139 Posts
1st step is always to remove any interceptor "power" modules or programmers from the truck.
Confirm that the ECU programming is factory.

Then proper low side and high side fuel pressure gauges. You will save money by installing these gauges on a common rail Cummins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st step is always to remove any interceptor "power" modules or programmers from the truck.
Confirm that the ECU programming is factory.

Then proper low side and high side fuel pressure gauges. You will save money by installing these gauges on a common rail Cummins.
Is it any way to make sure that the ECU is at stock? I do feel difference between The modes.

I Will look after som gauges, any you can recommend?

3,139 Posts
Is it any way to make sure that the ECU is at stock? I do feel difference between The modes.

I Will look after som gauges, any you can recommend?

Is your Bully Dog a programmer or an interceptor module?
Please fill out your signature with all your truck details and mods.

The best way to confirm your ECU is back to stock is to bring it to an FCA/Chrysler dealer and have them flash in a stock ECU program.
Not sure if this is possible since you are in Sweden.

Either way, remove your Bully Dog interceptor module and sell it.
Or set your ECU back to stock with the Bully Dog programmer and sell it.

Autometer makes specific fuel pressure gauges for the 2003 and up Common Rail Cummins.
Both low side and high side fuel pressure gauges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okey! I dont have a dealer near me so i Will use The bully dog to set it to Stock. Okey Will check them out!

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
No fan codes?
Need to deal with fan can effect other sensors. Including pressure sensor for code you are throwing.
With ohm meter check wires from fan to ECM can look in FSM for wiring schematics for your truck and other good info here

Hayden makes fans but need to verify production date, 3821 is before 1/4/04 or 3282 after 1/4/04
2004 DODGE RAM 2500 PICKUP 5.9L L6 DIESEL Turbocharged Radiator Fan Clutch | RockAuto all 3rd gen Dodges reverse rotation.

Symptom:
P0234-TURBO BOOST LIMIT EXCEEDED
When Monitored and Set Condition:
P0234-TURBO BOOST LIMIT EXCEEDED
When Monitored: While running.
Set Condition: The intake air pressure is above a calibrated value for a calibrated amount
of time.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
OTHER DTC’S
WASTEGATE STUCK
TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
1 Turn the ignition on.
With the DRBIIIt, read the Engine DTC’s.
Do you have additional Boost Pressure related faults?
All
Yes ! Repair other boost related DTC’s first.
No ! Go To 2
2 Turn the ignition on.
With the DRBIIIt, go to the Freeze Frame screen record all data.
With the DRBIIIt, read DTCs.
Operate the vehicle in the Freeze Frame parameters.
Did the DTC P-0234 return?
All
Yes ! Replace the Wastegate.
No ! Test Complete.
DRIVEABILITY - DIESEL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sometimes i have The po480 and 483. But i Will buy a new fan clutch to be on The safe side, i dont want to cut The original connector from the car to conect The old fan again. I Will do a pressure test on the lift pump with a real gauge tomorrow to make sure I got good pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts