Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 Dodge RAM 2500 diesel with the 47RE transmission and 3.55 rear axle ratio has a shifting problem. The dealer rebuilt the transmission last summer (under warranty) and they fiddled with the shift speeds. It used to shift as follows: 1st to 2nd at 12 mph, 2nd to 3rd at 20mph, 3rd to OD at 30mph and smoothly into torque convertor lockup at around 40 mph. Now after they fiddled with it it shifts as follows: 1st to 2nd at 17 mph, 2nd to 3rd at 22 mph, 3rd to OD at 45 plus and toque convertor lock up at round 50mph. This is on level road with normal accelerator pedal pressure. I don't' mind the new 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd but the 3rd to OD and torque convertor lock up speed has to be changed.

My wife's 2001 Durango with the 46RE transmission and 3.55axle ratio (the shift speeds have never been messed with) shifts similar to how my truck shifted before the transmission was rebuilt and is as follows: 1st to 2nd at 12 mph, 2nd to 3rd at 22 mph, 3rd to OD at 35 mph and torque convertor lockup at 40mph. All this shifting is done in a very smooth manner on a level road with normal accelerator pedal pressure.

Can my original shifting configuration be adjusted with the TV cable or will the valve body have to be readjusted?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
It is possible the dealer reflashed the PCM during the repairs and the shift schedule was changed. If so, no way to go back. Other possibilities exist, like throttle cable adjust or VB issue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think anything is possible after what I have gone through with my truck in the past 18 months. I have an appointment with the deaker on friday so I will try and have them get it back a close as possible and that may be the best I can hope for.

If I ever buy a new vehicle again I don't think I will let the dealer work on it ever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts