Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain to me why my 02 dodge have 4 headlight bulbs but only one is used ? low and high beams are off the same 9007 bulb that is closer to the outside of the truck

the other bulbs do not do anything are they there for good looks ? lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
The inside bulbs are 9004 bulbs. The factory Dodge setup only burns the high beam filament of the 9004 inside bulbs. I've got mine augmented with relays, so I burn both bulbs for both high and low beams.

If you are getting nothing from your inside (9004) bulbs, the first thing I'd do is see if the 9004 high beam filaments are burned out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i get high beam on the outside bulbs nothing on the inside at all no low or high beams

how can i trip the relay to have them both come on i seen a thread here a while back about that but dont have luck finding it again

·
Registered
913 Posts
Do you have to Sport package? The 9004 should work on low beams and the 9007 on high IIRC. Check out the brite box or daniel stern lighting to get them all to light up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you have to Sport package? The 9004 should work on low beams and the 9007 on high IIRC. Check out the brite box or daniel stern lighting to get them all to light up.
Unsatisfied with the headlamps on my 02, I just checked them out myself. So far as I can make out, this rig has only one headlamp in each fixture. Dual filament, one high and one low.

Checking Chilton's schematic, that's what they show as well. Dang, I was hoping the sport package was originally purchased.

I was having problems with head light switch as well. It was flaky and often would not return low beam, leaving the driver with no lights at all.

Finally removed the switch and disassembled it. Problem was just grungee contacts. Cleaned them and relubed with lite duty grease and that seemed solve the problem.

Only difficulty in switch removal is the screws that hold the switch to the steering column are specially formulated to defy a stock torx driver. The proper torx driver will have a small hole drilled in the end to accommodate a little tit that lies centered in the head of the screw.

I just used a dremel tool to cut a slot across the end of the torx driver. End of problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got the Sport lights, installed on my '96. The factory setup uses the outside 9007 bulb for high and low beams, and the inside 9004 bulb only for high beam.

I got a relay'ed wiring harness from SUVlights, that feeds the relays directly off the battery. I didn't want to run more amps through the factory headlight switch, since it's marginal at best. Take a look at the SUVlights web site:

Dodge Ram (Sport Headlights) Super Heavy Duty Conversion Harness w/4 relays 9007 & 9004

It's expensive, and they took a week to 10 days to ship, and the pictures on the web site are flakey - but the product is great. There is a separate wiring harness for each side of the truck.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Unsatisfied with the headlamps on my 02, I just checked them out myself. So far as I can make out, this rig has only one headlamp in each fixture. Dual filament, one high and one low.

Checking Chilton's schematic, that's what they show as well. Dang, I was hoping the sport package was originally purchased.

I was having problems with head light switch as well. It was flaky and often would not return low beam, leaving the driver with no lights at all.

Finally removed the switch and disassembled it. Problem was just grungee contacts. Cleaned them and relubed with lite duty grease and that seemed solve the problem.

Only difficulty in switch removal is the screws that hold the switch to the steering column are specially formulated to defy a stock torx driver. The proper torx driver will have a small hole drilled in the end to accommodate a little tit that lies centered in the head of the screw.

I just used a dremel tool to cut a slot across the end of the torx driver. End of problem.
That is called tamper proof torx:thumbsup

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have the sport package but my inside bulbs does not come on at all low/high beams is on the 9007 outside bulb only it seems like the inside is a driving light but it never come on

that harness is expensive i would go with a high low HID kit before i do just a harness for that much IMO

thanks for the input guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts