Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2002, diesel 5.9 Ram, 6 cylinder

1K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  bigfish95971 
#1 ·
I replaced the lift pump and changed the fuel filter. Now my truck won’t turn over! I can hear the pump engaging, it’ll crank but no start! Really don’t know where to go next!

#8 ·
It sounds like you need to bleed the air out of your fuel system.

Bleeding it isn't hard, make sure the batteries are fully charged.

Crack 1,3, and 4 and crank the starter for around 10 seconds.

Let it sit for 20 seconds and crank for 10. Repeat this while watching the lines. Once you get good fuel streams close the ones streaming and keep going until it starts.

Let it run while you close the remaining lines even if it's running rough. It will smooth out as the lines are closed.

That's how I've done it after fuel filter changes, don't think I forgot anything.

Reactions: me78569
#10 ·
Yes Bleed as stated. Next time bleed to the VP inlet tube by loosening and bumping the starter once and close when fuel sprays all over.

#16 ·
How any times did you crank it over for 10 seconds with the 3 fittings open? And yes if it is not bleeding the VP is likely bad caused by the original failed lift pump.

#18 ·
I have a hot wire to my pump for filter changes.
It eliminates a mess.
I then run it until air quits coming out of the filter fiting on top.

Then with three injectors cracked open, I crank it over until fuel comes out.( NEVER run a starter for more than 30 seconds)
It will not take even that long for it to start. Then snug up the injectors and fire her up, then tighten them up.
I always do the filter with the engine hot.
If not have her plugged in for a couple of hours.

#20 ·
I had the same issue once. I replaced my fuel filter and lift pump I’m a dummy and routed my fuel lines to existing lines and was pulling fuel through the dead pump that was on the sending unit in the tank. Once routed directly to tank, I got pressure. Maybe give a look at pump in the tank?

#24 ·
In tankd was a Mopar mod to get failed pumps off the vibrating block. One pump(either way) should never be pumping through another. Alwaysremove/bypass any unused pump to eliminate restriction. When the Moparmod or another good one is done a bypass block is included to connect the lines at the block.

#26 ·
OK good. Now does it start on first turn? Have you cleared all codes? Fuel pressure? Is there two fuel pumps on it, one drawing through the other?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.