Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 ram 3500 cummins that at times will crank over fast but wont start. I have a rapter aftermarket fuel pump. I had codes pulled the other week but cant find print out but I think it had a crank sensor code. I have noticed that at times the tich quits working & tonight while trying to find loose or bad connection I turned off ignition & it would not start. after about 30 to 40 mins it started & tach was then working. I've been told could be dealing with a computer problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
just do the key trick to get the codes. No need to print anything just write eme down and post up on this forum and you will get help. By the way there are no crank sensors on your year. Only on the earlier models. Your truck uses a cam positon sensor only. Also what is your fuel pressure?

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
And a non workking tack with no start is time to look at the cam sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i know i had to replace one about 4 years ago but the code was for crank sensor. i also had a dealer mention a grid heater or solenoid, but have not had multimeter to check when acting up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a truck do that to me intermittently. When you turn the key on does the WTS light and fuel pump come on? 2000 model you had to turn the key on and wait about 15 seconds then it would fire up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
yes the wts light does come on although does vary as to how lomg it takes to come on. and as for the fuel pump it has a raptor aftermarket pump & i was having issues with power to it through harness so i have run a toggle switch to turn on the pump

1 - 8 of 8 Posts