Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im puttin in my intercooler. Its a fair amount of work but enjoyable. Do you guys want pictures??? and short write up of work??? Its gonna take a while as Im just tinkering in my spare time.:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is the banks unit I am replacing as it restricts boost to about 22 pounds.

Here is everything removed and holes cut for new intercooler.

and

I had to cut alot as you can see and will have to brace around where I cut as it is the main structure of core support.

I also had to cut some of the radiator mount off the sides of the radiator.

The unit must sit low just above the frame rails and the bumber mounts need to be trimmed.

then

Then bend and reweld

This is just the start of the fun. It seems every thing has to be trimmed or relocated. More to come

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is how I am going to mount the unit.

Ford rubber upper mounts

Lower mounts with a hole drilled through

Tubes entering

Mounted less tranny cooler and A/C condensor

The secondary hood latch is gonna hit

Its gettin there... picking away at it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Looking good. Alot of little things can get frustrating. Glad to see you getting that in there. You may want to save your Bank$ stuff and throw it on EBAY. I'd bet it would bring more than what you'll have in all this.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am done. Now I want to get 3 inch cooler tubes to finish it off. My HTT stage 4 will be here this week. For now I have pieced together some pipes with some furnco's so I can atleast run the thing. Basically everything between the fan to bumper needed to be cut or moved or replummed. I have everything installed but the A/C condensor. I need a new one so there is no sense to install a cracked unit.

Finished

I had to cut the trim under the grill

I had to shorten the secondary hood latch so it would not hit cooler

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Nice job! hope everything else goes well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
so did it up your boost!!!!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hit like 25 pounds and blew a furnco.. I hodgepodged some pipes to get it to run. I have a restrictive 2 inch elbow on the turbo, I think it necks down to like 1 3/4 in the bend, then to 3 inch. After the intercooler it reduces back to 2.5 inch into the original banks tube.. Its a plummers nightmare but at least I can drive it till my htt comes and then gonna get 3 inch cooler tubes and do it up right. I think it will ( once piped up right ) be a nice unit. It was a pain but it is a much bigger unit and of course has 3 inch pipes. I think I got 25 to 30 hours in it including going to get parts. Even with getting cooler tubes I should have about 500 bucks in it. Its better then buying a new one for 700 then having to plumb it for a nother couple hundred. I did alot more cutting then I wanted. I think on a factory intercooled truck there is less cutting and fab work involved.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
You Said Your Waiting Fro 3" Lines I Was Wondering Where You Are Located? I Am In Central Wi. Would Like To See It Sometime.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Saw Your License Plate. Was Thinking Of Putting Cummins In My 1980.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im located in Maine. Price breakdown... I paid $150 for the intercooler. They wanted 200 but talked them down. $15 bucks in mis metal peices for core support, I bought a ton of bolts and nuts, threaded rod for 20 to 30 bucks.( only used couple of bucks worth ) Put the rest in the bolt bucket. Got 30 bucks in temp exaust pipes for cooler pipes. I bought some furncos at 8 bucks apiece.( temporary fix ). 2 cans spray paint to paint everything I chopped up. I guess thats about it. Looks like I will have 250 bucks in cooler pipes and boots. I could have saved 50 or 60 bucks if I wanted to wait and do final pipes before driving truck again. Who wants to wait? I couldn't.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Thanks. I guess it ads up quick. I got the same IC for $150 also and then the intake manifold off an '02 or so for like $20. I've been sitting that stuff for a while and will install it when I do my motor swap into the Ford.

I never thought the boots and tubing would cost that much but I guess they do.

Are you doing 3" aluminum tubing for the cooler pipes and making your own using rubber or silcone bends - or are you buying a prebent set somewhere?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I will go with 3 in polished cooler tubes custom made. Not sure yet but thinking hard. I have a local shop that can bend 3 inch pipe but I like the looks of polished shinny stuff.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'm going to look around for some 3" aluminum tube and a place with a mandrel bender to do mine.
Any muffler shop should be able to bend 3", but most muffler places don't have a mandrel bender so the tubing dia. decreases in the bend - which I don't like.
Look under any car or truck around to see what I mean by this.

If you get aluminum tubing anybody can polish it after you have it bent - heck I might even do mine.
Just don't take an already polished piece to be bent - you won't like how it looks after...

Oh - you can make the intake pipes out of steel as well and it will be cheaper. You don't get the cool polished look, but you can paint them any color you want. I just like aluminum because it dissipates the heat faster.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Richie,what is that white tube right beside the passenger headlight?
thank-you
Lee
Its a poor mans cold air intake. Just a duct that dumps in front of the filter housing opening.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Its a poor mans cold air intake. Just a duct that dumps in front of the filter housing opening.
You're "poor man's" cold air intake is 20 times the cold air intake as any air intake that is sold for the first gen, so I wouldn't be too ashamed. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 37 Posts