Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a 2001 24v Cummins and I have a few questions.

1. I cannot find any stamp visible on the block to rule out of it is a 53 block or not. I checked passenger side about 6 inches back from the front (that’s where I’ve always seen it) and I scanned all over elsewhere and can’t find it. I believe on the driver side about halfway up from where the oil pan meets the block, there was a set of numbers that were on the smaller side. Does this mean it was a Mexican block? And not a 53 block?

2. The truck has an edge juice with attitude installed. It acts as if it has a turbo timer set, sometimes. When I looked at it we started it up and it idled for about 5-10 minutes while I checked it over then we moved it into a shop to check it over further and he pulled the key and it stayed running for approximately 30 seconds. He said it started doing that not too long ago. We drove it for about 15-20 minutes and I got out and turned the key off and it shut right off. He started it up and moved it from where I parked it to where they park it and it stayed running for approximately 30 seconds. I did not tap the gas pedal as I forgot about that. Is there any chance this is an issue? He said he doesn’t believe the turbo timer function is on with the edge. But maybe? It shuts off after the same amount of time every time.

3. The steering is typical 2nd gen. There’s a ton of play when turning back and forth before it actually engages and turns the wheels. When I was driving down the road I came to a left hand bend and then an immediate right hand and damn I wasn’t ready to turn the wheel that far lol. What’s the best way to tighten that up?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
53 block is unlikely in a true 2001.

There's a dozen ways to fix the steering.
They are all NOT replacing with OEM parts.
One not mentioned often here is that Kevin's Off Road (of death wobble fame) has expanded into trucks.
That said, I don't have one yet myself.
We did put the Kevin's Off Road DW package on our Jeep and it's great.

I don't run a chip so someone else will have to chime in on that one.
Idle down isn't a bad habit though so there's that.

Did you pull codes with a good scan tool?
Rust?
Is the truck solid otherwise?
Is it a manual?
Just curious.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply! For some reason the thought of pulling codes slipped through my head. Minimal to no rust which is rare here in NY. No real leaks. Drives great minus steering having a dead spot between actually turning right or left lol. Automatic unfortunately. 165k miles, current owner has owned it for the last 6 years and 50k miles.

·
On call 24/7
12,511 Posts
You can get a half ton steering box that will have a quicker ratio gear box. They arent recommended if you plan on running big tires but im sure it will hold up as long as anything else.

·
Registered
19,562 Posts
Stock steering parts are just fine so long as they are tight and greased we. Running after shut off is not normal and thus an issue. I don't know what though. Steering needs a good diagnosis. Crawl under it and have someone rock the wheel while you look at and feel all parts.
Track bar is the first you will find bad causing the slack you describe. Moog Problem Solver works and lasts fine.
Then look for play in steering gear. Good store brand for $200 is fine.
Then move on to ball joints, control arms, tie rod ends and so on. Replace anything with play and you will be fine. Contrary to many you do not need expensive aftermarket parts to make it drive fine.

·
Registered
19,562 Posts
Thanks. PS. Welcome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the replies! I wanted to add one more thing. When driving it, shifting from one to 2 was fine, when it shifted from 2-3 it was a weird long shift and once it was into 3 it felt like it started to pull harder and start going faster than it was in the previous gear almost like i was applying more throttle , it did the same thing slightly from 3-4. It wasn’t a long shift per say but once you felt it engage to the next gear it had a weird It doesn’t feel like slip. The rpms don’t jump up or anything, and I was just light throttle normal cruising. Is this normal? It doesn’t act like a typical auto transmission. Maybe it has some internal parts upgrades? Maybe it’s toast? It didn’t seem to skip a beat. I let into it probably 50% throttle and it had no issue. It was currently on the number 2 tune for the edge juice with attitude

·
Registered
90 Posts
I’m looking at a 2001 24v Cummins and I have a few questions.

1. I cannot find any stamp visible on the block to rule out of it is a 53 block or not. I checked passenger side about 6 inches back from the front (that’s where I’ve always seen it) and I scanned all over elsewhere and can’t find it. I believe on the driver side about halfway up from where the oil pan meets the block, there was a set of numbers that were on the smaller side. Does this mean it was a Mexican block? And not a 53 block?
To my knowledge all the Brazilian blocks have a big stamped running number, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 and so on. 53 being the keeper of the bridge of death. Then there's the so called Mexico block and International Harvester block. IH blocks are pretty rare, I guess. It literally means they shipped a small fragment of engines with the same block they shipped for IH. I've found no info on any way to tell those apart. But since you don't have that two large digit casting on your block, it's safe to say you have either Mexico of IH block.

I posted a pic of my 2001 block on imgur. The marks are hiding under a wiring harness on the driver's side. That's about where you would find a big 53 or 5x if it were a Brazilian block. Mine had a big oil leak from the vaccuum pump at the time when I took that photo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To my knowledge all the Brazilian blocks have a big stamped running number, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 and so on. 53 being the keeper of the bridge of death. Then there's the so called Mexico block and International Harvester block. IH blocks are pretty rare, I guess. It literally means they shipped a small fragment of engines with the same block they shipped for IH. I've found no info on any way to tell those apart. But since you don't have that two large digit casting on your block, it's safe to say you have either Mexico of IH block.

I posted a pic of my 2001 block on imgur. The marks are hiding under a wiring harness on the driver's side. That's about where you would find a big 53 or 5x if it were a Brazilian block. Mine had a big oil leak from the vaccuum pump at the time when I took that photo.
Thank you for that. I glanced there and didn’t notice it. I’ll make sure to double check when I see it again. Which may be this weekend when I have cash to buy it lol.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
This thought won't go away so I'm just going to say it.
You said "Automatic unfortunately."
If you want a manual perhaps think hard about waiting for a manual.

Reactions: DarkLeftArm

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This thought won't go away so I'm just going to say it.
You said "Automatic unfortunately."
If you want a manual perhaps think hard about waiting for a manual.
I get what you’re saying. If I had to pick one it would be a 6 speed. They don’t pop up often around my area, at least not one worth buying. I don’t mind the auto but 6 speed is preferred, but not a requirement. Although just today an 01 regular cab 6 speed popped up for sale right in the town I live in. I’ve admired that truck for the last couple years or so. Not sure about a regular cab though. No kids or anything yet so I’m sure I could make it work lol

·
Registered
19,562 Posts
That shifting sounds like normal lockup in 3rd and 4th on an 01/02.

Reactions: 01superb

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I think jross means the 2001 would be a HO (high output) engine... same 5.9L, as stock set up to put out a bit more power.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think jross means the 2001 would be a HO (high output) engine... same 5.9L, as stock set up to put out a bit more power.
Only the 6 speed gets the HO right? Maybe he was talking about my second option at the moment (the regular cab 01 6speed) vs my original topic of my post which was an 01 auto

·
Registered
90 Posts
5.9L 24v Cummins ISB Specs

"A high output (H.O. or HO) version of the 5.9L Cummins was available for the 2001 to 2004 model years. For 2001 and 2002, the HO Cummins boasted an additional 10 horsepower and 45 lb-ft of torque. ------ The NV5600 6 speed manual transmission was the only transmission available mated to HO models of the Cummins, as at the time the available automatic was not rated with an adequate input capacity. High output models featured higher compression and a unique engine calibration to provide the additional performance. "

I sure would like to have a go at the 6 speed transmission to see how it's like to drive compared to the 5 speed that I got. Mainly to see how the gear ratios are and is the 6th speed kind of like an extended 5th speed, or are the gears just closer to each other so you never get that feeling that you would like a seperate gear between 3rd and 4th.

·
On call 24/7
12,511 Posts
Gears are closer in the 5600. 4500 is great for empty driving but the 5600 works well when towing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve heard before that the 5-6 speeds are similar in the tallest gear, the difference is mainly down around the 3-4 gearing

1 - 20 of 43 Posts