Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My 2001 Ram (Just turned 100,000miles) recently started running strange. When I first start it up and drive off, I can put my foot to the floor and it will not go over 10mph. Then I stop, put it in drive, reve the engine, put it back into drive and it seems to be ok. It also around 55mph seems to just loose power and I either have to step on it to get it back over 55 or double tap the peddle. It seems to run fine with the OverDrive off. It seems that I have to more and more just let up on the peddle and tap it, then it will pick up and go again....
Also what Kind of MPG should I be getting?? City? Hyway?
Thank You
C.Crawford

· Rescue Tower
11,008 Posts
It's called "dead pedal". Usually means your injection pump is dying. Pull your codes with the key trick. Turn key on and off three times, leave it on the third time. Code 0216 means your IP is about to leave you on the side of the road. It could also be the APPS too, so pull the codes before assuming anything.

You need to have a fuel pressure gauge and a good liftpump. Low fuel pressure kills the IP.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Mileage varies on diesel engines from driver to driver, truck to truck. City mileage can range from 14-17 city in my truck just depending on the weather and traffic, and highway mileage usually sets in between 17-20. This really depends on weather conditions though, as cold weather kills my mileage. These are unloaded figures.

Also the symptoms you describe could also be related to the APPS sensor (throttle position sensor). You could try to adjust it but you may need to replace it. APPS Sensor

A good start would be to get it scanned. There is a key trick, but often times it doesn't show everything stored in the computer. Most part stores will do it for free and give you a print out. Then you can post the codes.

Also if you don't have a fuel pressure gauge you can do a volume test. http://http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/cummins/2ndgen24v/lift-pump-diag/lift-pump-daig.htm

· Registered
461 Posts
Hopefully ya dont get the P0216 DEATH CODE. :banghead: :S: If ya do may yer IP R.I.P.

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
well, man, ya have the dead petal, so, try the APPS thing, and if it keeps doin it, may the VP RIP...:(

sounds like you may have one or both of these codes man...:doh:

P0216 Fuel Inj Pump Timing Failure

P1688 Internal Fuel Inj Pump Ctrller Failure

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New VP44

Well I changed my VP44 with a new BlueChip Special X and a FASS lift pump.
Well I must say it now runs better than when it was brand new!!!!
Great company to do busniess with!!!!:yourock:
CCrawford

· Registered
461 Posts
Well congrats. :thumbsup:

· Registered
26 Posts
CK -- Who did you purchase your FASS and VP from?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.