Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I thought i would try to see if anyone has any ideas on where to start with my Dodge, I have 01 5.9 and i changed the fuel filter , everything seemed ok for a day , but then it started leaking diesel from the top of the fuel filter canister , i then proceeded to tighten the top another 1/4 - 1/2 and again it seemed fine, then i stopped the truck and then it started but died within 10 seconds i opened the filter canister and its 1/2 full or less and not filling up. Now it wont start.

I cant hear the lift pump at all when key is cycled in on position,

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
376 Posts
check for lift pump fuel pressure, check for codes also

if you have fuel pressure it should be about 10psi min at WOT, my guess is you dont have any pressure, or you got air in the lines. replace that piece of junk dodge lift pump asap

·
Premium Member
12,050 Posts
Pump has cavitated.
Remove filter cap and inspect. Install new gasket if needed.
Install cover but leave loose enough to leak.
Go to bump start mode and fuel should leak at gasket area. Air will be expelled and will run solid stream of fuel after a few seconds.
Now tighten the cover till leak stops. You have removed air from pump filter area.
Now loosen the overflow valve while in bump mode again. Solid fuel should leak quickly.
tighten overflow valve(banjo bolt) and you have purged the VP44.
Loosen three easy to get to injection lines and crank till fuel spurts.
Tighten lines and engine should start, run rough for a few seconds and be good.
Clean engine with engine cleaner and rinse down with out spraying water everwhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the advice, As soon as i get near the truck ill will go through all these steps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi , so i checked i have no codes,

I put new oring in place and put cap back on but loose, ive bump started numerous times and it still doesnt want to fill. The pump does turn on for about 30 secs.

How long or how many "bump starts" till i should see improvement?

thanks Jon

·
Banned
432 Posts
ive bump started numerous times and it still doesnt want to fill. The pump does turn on for about 30 secs.
It should only have taken a couple of cycles to be pumping fuel......it's likely your lift pump is toast. Often the vanes inside the pump break loose from the shaft......the pump runs but won't pump any fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems logical, Looks like not a drop of diesel is getting fed into the fuel filter canister after 5 - 7 try's. Pump turns on nothing no fuel movement. full tank.

Would the FASS DDRP be a good replacement as ive been reading i dont want to go back to stock! Its an auto that has 4inch exhaust but im not really looking put up anymore power.

Thanks Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EDIT , looks like the better buy is the raptor 100gph comes with the bigger lines and relocated it closer to tank.

·
Registered
376 Posts
yep your lift pump is toast. depending on your power goals the raptor should be sufficient. good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just running my truck stock , with 4 inch exhaust , wasnt planning on changing anything else ? what mods would make it necessary to have 150gph?

thanks Jon

·
Registered
376 Posts
big injectors. a raptor pump would work great on a stock truck or one with MILD mods. you could throw a set of rv275's in and be fine. just get a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perfect, im not planning on doing much at all, happy with her stock!

Thanks again for all the help!! much appreciate

·
Registered
72 Posts
Perfect, im not planning on doing much at all, happy with her stock!
For now my friend, for now.... plan bigger than you think you will need; save money in the long run.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The FASS DDRP is not a bad choice if you plan on staying mostly stock.
I see it as a great value for the money, just finished my install this evening.
I loosened the filter cap to purge air and bumped the starter glad i had a good size drain pan under the truck, fuel was going every where. I have 15Lbs at idle, will see what it drops to tomorrow. Hopefully no less than 13.
:stirpot:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts