Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 cummins. It currently has a 47re trans and i'm swapping that to a NV4500 5 speed. I was wondering if anyone has had to switch their VP44 to the manual option. I believe it is considered the HO VP44.
The reason why i'm asking is because I added a bunch of aftermarket parts and one of them was an industrial injection stage 1 VP44 for the automatic trans. With a stage 1 pump does it really matter what trans you have?

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Can't comment because I don't know the details on it but on the VP44 you will want to stick with it. Won't matter if it is ran with an auto or a manual. The HO VP44 may make slightly more low end power but will struggle if you try to make more power(over the 500hp mark) compared SO VP44.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No need to change the vp44 it doesn't care what transmission is back there . You may need to get your ecm reflashed either with a smarty or shudder a dealership . I didn't need to do either with my 99 I lucked out hope this helps ya .

Reactions: Shane612

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Hi, I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 cummins. It currently has a 47re trans and i'm swapping that to a NV4500 5 speed. I was wondering if anyone has had to switch their VP44 to the manual option. I believe it is considered the HO VP44.
The reason why i'm asking is because I added a bunch of aftermarket parts and one of them was an industrial injection stage 1 VP44 for the automatic trans. With a stage 1 pump does it really matter what trans you have?
As the others stated, no need to change the VP44. As far as I'm aware, the HO pump was only available with the NV5600 anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to change the vp44 it doesn't care what transmission is back there . You may need to get your ecm reflashed either with a smarty or shudder a dealership . I didn't need to do either with my 99 I lucked out hope this helps ya .
I'm getting the ECM out of the manual truck so it should just plug right in and be all set to go. Do you happen to know if the 47re and the nv4500 are the same length?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No there not they are close in overall length if I remember right the nv4500 is slightly longer 2-3 ". My front drive shaft was very tight and ruined a couple spicers b4 I clued in lol the back worked out ok hope this helps

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If im not mistaking the manual ecm adds fuel at idle when loaded to prevent stalling. Ive also heard of people leaving the ecm alone and living with the codes.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

Well the ecm you don't have to change. What you should really consider changing is the PCM and the harness to the PCM and harness for a manual. That is plug and play, and you keep the cruise control. Oh and if you decide not to change the PCM and harness, then you can count on not only cruise control not working, but the engine won't have any power above 2k rpms. I changed the PCM and harness on mine and didn't have any codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the ecm you don't have to change. What you should really consider changing is the PCM and the harness to the PCM and harness for a manual. That is plug and play, and you keep the cruise control. Oh and if you decide not to change the PCM and harness, then you can count on not only cruise control not working, but the engine won't have any power above 2k rpms. I changed the PCM and harness on mine and didn't have any codes.
I'm getting the PCM as well. I didnt know that the harness was different. So should i get the whole transmission harness or just the PCM part? Im not too familiar with the PCM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts