Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a donor truck which is a 2001 dodge 2500 with a 24v Cummins which is a 2wd manual. I wanted to swap that 24v into my 2001 dodge 2500 4wd with 8.0 but I’m not sure what part numbers I will need for the pcm, ecm or harness, will what’s on it work?

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
If you have a donor truck why not take everything off that with the engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I didn’t know if the pcm, wiring harness, or ecm are different because it’s standard and 2wd and I’m trying to put it in a 4wd automatic

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
4x4 should not matter except for the indicator light as it(and the switch on CAD) is the only thing that is electrical that is 4x4 related. It has the same trani but I do not know about sensors and pcm. I think all you have to do is swap engines and maybe harnesss to to the diesel, maybe some other elctroincs like rteh central timer. Don't forget grid heater relays etc and ailr and battery boxes for two batteries. fuel return lines. In tank lift pump may work .

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
I know for a fac tyou need all engine electronics, ECM most of full harness, grid heater and fuel system etc off the diesel. PCM I do not know becasue they both use the 47re trani and that is controlled by the PCM, but there may be rpm differences forth v-10. not sure about the dash cluster either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I need to find a wiring harness and ecm off an auto 2001 dodge 2500? To make it work?

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
You have to have an 01 or 02 ECM an harness from a diesel. They mount to the driver side of the engine, is it not still on your engine. Neither off the gas will work on the diesel. A PCM for an auto will often work on a manual abut not the other way around. The PCM controls shifting on the autos, and charging and a couple o fother functions on every thing. Other than trani and transfer case matching 2 or 4x4 makes no difference to the PCM or ECM or engine. Like I said other than the indicator light in the dash nothing about 2 or 4x4 is electrical or computer controlled or monitored..

Now the diesel has the vacuum pump to control, heater, cruise and 4x4 actuator and cad. The gas engines ahve engine vaacuum forthat and the brakes too. The diesel has the hydroboost system that has brake boost from the power steering pump, along with steering too. Maybe ifther is room for it bhe brake booste can run off the vacuum pump and avoid needing the hydroboost.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
Thought you already have the whole truck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the ecm is the same on a 01 or 02 Cummins? It being a standard doesn’t make a difference?

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
Most but not all 01-02 are the same. Maybe HO is different. Just check PN on the units to be the same. Definitley 98.5 to 00 will not work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts