Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new here and to the Diesel field, but have held multiple ASE certs in the past so I like to think I know my way around an engine bay.

My wife and I are currently in the market for a Bus to convert Skoolie and have found a 2001 New Flyer Industries D40LF Bus for a great price and after doing a bit of research on the bus line, which years came with which combo etc I've got a few questions that I think only you guys can answer -Google certainly can't.

From what I can gather the engine is either a Cummins C8.3G CNG (sister engine of the C8.3 ISC diesel burner) or a Cummins Westport C Gas Plus.

Question 1: How likely is it that this bus has the C Gas Plus being that said engine wasn't introduced until the year of its manufacture?

Question 2: If it is a C8.3G, is it possible to convert it to a C8.3 ISC? I'm getting mixed answers on this in other forums - Some say the computer can be flashed to run the Diesel specs. Would it be safe then to say that after that hurdle is jumped the only conversions left on the engine itself would be Pistons, Rings and heads?

Question 3: If the engine is a Westport C Gas Plus, is there a way to convert it to diesel?

My main concern with it being CNG is lack of available public fueling stations where I'm at. Any insight and advice is greatly appreciated - Thanks!

JD

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
write down the engine serial number and call a cummins dealer. They can cross the number and tell you which engine it is. If the parts guy is good he could tell you what it would take to convert.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts