Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm puzzled here is the problem. I have right now the edge drag comp box ok and I have a 2001. Now on the instructions and in the box there was a boost elbow that your suppose to change but my turbo don't have one is there a reason ? Maybe the turbo was changed????

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
Since you have a 2001 auto you have a hy35 turbo. This means the wastegate is not operated with a boost elbow.

If you don't already have a turnbuckle to hold the wastegate closed then you need to get one.

hy35: turnbuckle
hx35: boost elbow

As far as stock turbos are concerned the hy35 is smaller than the hx35. The hx35 will support ~36psi before it runs out of steam. The hy35 starts running out of steam at about 32psi.

By steam I mean the turbo is just blowing hot air after that point, which doesn't make power.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
What boost levels can you make? If one is installed then you should see high 30's psi at wot. not good to be over 32 but it is possible

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
so I am guessing your wastegate is either modified or you have a turnbuckle already.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
well is you are buildign 31 now then there is no point in modding it. You are set perfectly for your turbo. Too much fuel still, but at least the turbos not out of its map.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Google " Hy35 turnbuckle pic "
If you don't have anything like it, either the wastegate is rusted shut or someone welded it shut. If you are reading 31, you are within the limits of the turbo map (Whole other future lesson for ya). Asything over 32 PSI on the HY35 is superheating the air & causing diminishing returns. Once you get the EJWA installed, you will detune, until you have aceotable EGTs on a grade at WOT. Then, it will be time for a turbo upgrade.

Ed

Reactions: CoalRoller26

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya my turbo don't have that turnbuckle! It's just the waste gate. What do I need to do?

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
so is the edge not installed? how bout the superchips? 100 hp injectors and the edge /superchip is going to be way more fuel than your turbo can support the air for. you need enough air to fully burn all the fuel you are providing. the hy cannot do that with the setup your sig says you have. if you already see 31psi then you dont need to do anything. you are already boosting as high as you want to go. a new turbo is your next step. boost is more than just psi you need air IE: lb/mn the hy35 cannot supply enough lb/mn at the top of its map range at 32psi. I dont know what it is but for explaining say the hy can push 50lb/mn at 32. the hx can do 56lb/mn the hx40 58lb/mn and he351cw 60lb/mn of air again very rough numbera but you get the point. you have enough fuel to overfuel each of those turbos.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
"Me" has it exactly.

Ed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And I recently took the super chip out and just have the comp box. Waiting on EJWA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts