Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having problems with the truck starting after a cold morning and thought it might have water in the filter, so I drained the filter and the truck started. I drove down the road and my gas gage was dropping fuel. Apparently the fuel filter was stuck and my fuel was flowing. Now the truck will not prime. It this the fuel lift pump? If so, where do I find it on the truck?

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
:welcome: The fuel transfer pump (fuel lift pump) is located
on the left-rear side of the engine cylinder block above the starter motor. The 12–volt electric vane-type pump is operated and controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel pump found

I found the pump and I took it off and it does not match the pump from the parts store. It looks as if it has been modified. I had fuel pump problems three years ago and they said they had to go into the tank. The parts store looked in all the books and the parts #, but they do not match the one I took off the truck. The pump I took off the truck is short and stubby, the one at the parts store was long. The part I took off the truck was a "Carter" brand. How do I find out which pump is the correct one?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The Carter pump is nearly identical to the original block mount pump EXCEPT for npt (pipe thread) fittings, and eyes for the wires instead of a plug. It's a better setup and MUCH cheaper IMO. I have one on my framerail. I wish I would have just put one on the block as well instead of a new oe style unit. (240 vs 90 for the same guts and no banjos)

PS I would SERIOUSLY pause before letting anyone put in an in tank pump. IMO those things SUCK big time. They don't pump directly upstream but have a port halfway up that dumps excess flow. FUNKY FUNKY setup the way I look at it. And VERY expensive. Anything aftermarket, and most things homebrew will be better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts