Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i just got back home after a three day 2000mile trip. Basically Houston to Atlanta but a little more. From Houston to Atalanta was ran with a empty 35ft Dove Tail, Truck + 8000lbs for the trailer. Here is the MPG Number Report for that

1st Fill up, 16.9 gals, $70 ,$4.13gal, Average 12.6 MPG(This was with the trailer running around but had not left for the trip yet)
2nd Tank(In to the trip now)
$131, 30gals, 327miles, 10.9 MPG, $4.39
3rd Tank
$133, 31gals, 334miles, 10.7 MPG, $4.25
4th Tank, Loaded Leaving Atlanta GA. Total Weight of Truck, Trailer, and Load, 25,534lbs (1/2 tank of fuel) According to CAT Scales.
$129, 29.5gals, 306.8miles, 10.4 MPG, $4.37
5th Tank
$123, 27.5gals, 256 miles, 9.3 MPG, $4.46
6th Tank
$142, 31gals, 269 miles, 8.67 MPG, $4.55
7th Tank
$144, 32.8 gals, 272 miles, 8.3 MPG, $4.39

So Over all MPG was 10.7, Money Spent, $871, Total Miles which are not all listed was 2000(give or take 50)

Running Up to Atlanta the truck pulled the trailer pretty well. I kept the MP8 up and the PMT on Tow. I never just got on it I just used the power for 6th gear.

Now with the trailer loaded was a different story. I kept the MP8 off and the PMT on Tow for all of this. I found out real quick that the 68RFE hates Slow traffic, Stop and Go Traffic for that matter. It did not take long for the Trans Temp to HIT 220 Degrees. The Coolant stayed between 205 and 215 which i am happy with that. The Tranny.

Going through the hills(Over Passes also or anything with a incline) I was forced into 4th sometimes 3rd gear. the truck never saw 6th but only once on flat ground but the truck did not agree with that. The truck ran fine in 5th. My only disappointment about the truck was that if you goosed it alittle to down shift the truck would come out of lock up. I dont like that. The troque converter in our trucks are not effiecent enough for that. So i just used the selector to find the gear that i needed.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Only your 7th tank was worse than my last tank average city MPG, all the others were better.

Off topic - where in Cypress do you live?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
good report.

·
Registered
838 Posts
next trip i make home and back i'll try to keep a record like you did. i usually put about 2000 miles on when i do that. but empty i've been seeing around 16.8-18.3 on the freeway, pending on wind. only checked it once around home and it was 22ish, don't remember for sure now. but it looks i might be hooking up the fifth wheel here in a month or so and your loaded numbers are making me feel better about my move.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Empty, When i drove and the roads where good 75 to 80. I hit 100 once just to piss off one of the guys in the truck. When the other two fellows that where with me drove, 60 to 70.

Loaded, 55 to 70 in the hills. Pretty much ran 70 to 75 On I-10(Flat)

I was not paying for the diesel. I drove to where i felt comfortable in the Truck. yall all know the feeling when it becomes uncomfortable!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i do not pull anything,so those numbers are decent for pulling? do you think the 5.9's would be about the same?

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Top off the road trip My Truck and trailer got towed last night. Instead of taking it to my parents house where i keep it at. I stayed the night at my girls apartment. I was just too tired to drive. I parked where NOBODY parks at in the apartments. But some Piece of Crap Called a Tow truck because i was taking up 7 parking slots that NOBODY parks at. So this morning when i was walkin out to my truck, There was nothing. So 377 dollars later i got my truck and trailer back.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
That sucks. Should teach the person a lesson or two.. :rof

·
Registered
99 Posts
bummer about getting towed. your speed explains the low MPG numbers though.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bummer about getting towed. your speed explains the low MPG numbers though.
If i would have kept it around 65 it would have helped but on the 6.7's it just seems like they get a over all worst MPG over the 5.9's .

There are others getting worst with less weight and slower speeds

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry about the tow. Thanks for the info.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
You have some horrible luck at your G/Fs apartment.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have some horrible luck at your G/Fs apartment.
Yeah no kiding, Broke into at her last place, now towed at this one.

I dont know if we have any big city wrecker drivers on here but yall are some soulless drivers. dont give a damn about the hard working people.

My truck was at that yard for 13hrs when i picked it up. When i called them it was the for 11 hrs and she gave me a quote for 352 dollars. I got there and they tried to charge me for 392 dollars. they said it was two days of storage. Hell, they told me nothing about the extra charge if i dont get there in a hr. worthless people that are no better than a politician, they only tell you what they want to tell you. misleading pieces of crap

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yeah no kiding, .

I dont know if we have any big city wrecker drivers on here but yall are some soulless drivers. dont give a damn about the hard working people.
Maybe you should walk a mile in another mans shoes before you are so quick to judge :beer

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Empty, When i drove and the roads where good 75 to 80. I hit 100 once just to piss off one of the guys in the truck. When the other two fellows that where with me drove, 60 to 70.

Loaded, 55 to 70 in the hills. Pretty much ran 70 to 75 On I-10(Flat)

I was not paying for the diesel. I drove to where i felt comfortable in the Truck. yall all know the feeling when it becomes uncomfortable!!!!!!!
I'll bet 10mph slower would give you an easy 15 to 20% better mileage.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I drive fast, i know that it hurts the MPG. But when one of the other fellows drove they drove 60 to 65, when the trailer was unloaded or loaded there difference in MPG from Mine was not much, the only major difference that you can see is when the trailer was loaded or unload, that resulted in 2 MPG. Whether i Drove 15MPH faster than the other two it did not matter. Maybe we should have drove 55 MPH!!!!! The only reason they drove slower than myself is that they where not use to my truck and trailer.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe you should walk a mile in another mans shoes before you are so quick to judge :beer
I will not walk in a wreckers shoes, they earned the Title that people see them as. If i did i would not be any better than them.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
One other thing that is hurting your fuel mileage is your 33x12.5x20 tires and it would not surprise me if you have between a 2+ inch lift on the truck that may also hurt your mileage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts