Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have swapped my 12v into my 2000 dodge 3500. It's running great and the only issues i've ran into are inside the cab. I bought a wiring harness out of a 98 12v and am yet to swap it in, but im wondering where I can find a gauge cluster for it. I've been scouring the web for a 98 12v cummins instrument cluster and can't seem to find one. I was wondering if one out of a 24v would work? or does it need to be exclusively a 12v instrument cluster?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I’m wanting to p-pump my ‘99.
I’m thinking about just getting rid of the stock cluster guts and making a panel, behind the stock clear plastic face, with gauges. Maybe even digital ones so it looks modern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m wanting to p-pump my ‘99.
I’m thinking about just getting rid of the stock cluster guts and just making a panel, behind the stock clear plastic face, with gauges. Maybe even digital ones so it looks modern.
I considered that too, but I don't know if I'm skilled enough to do that.

·
custom user title
2,106 Posts
You will need the 12v gauge cluster- it should actually fit despite the dashes and cluster being slightly different

I know for a fact you can put a 24v 2nd gen cluster into a 2nd gen 12v truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ever make any progress on this?
I'm swapping a 97 12v into my 02. Its a 6 speed and I got the 12v cluster also. Does anyone know what I'll have to do to get the 12v cluster to work?

·
Registered
949 Posts
02 truck are only looking for the cam sensor to run the cluster and charge. So if you were to use the trucks engine harness, ecu, and cam sensor you should be good. Also would need to swap cam gears, I believe they are different for picking up sensor signal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
02 truck are only looking for the cam sensor to run the cluster and charge. So if you were to use the trucks engine harness, ecu, and cam sensor you should be good. Also would need to swap cam gears, I believe they are different for picking up sensor signal.
I'm looking to sell the 24v engine complete with the harness and ecu. Using either 1 wire alternator or stand alone charging relay unit it should run and charge fine. And if I swap to the 97 cluster will I need a pcm?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Not sure. You could always do after market gauge cluster. GPS speedo and some kind of tach that runs off the alternator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts