Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced there 2500 rear leaf springs with 1500 springs. i want better ride quality and have a pair of helper springs i will leave on for towing my 30ft trailer.

·
Registered
456 Posts
have you looked at your springs?

a buddy of mine has a 97 2500 2wd x cab long bed and it rode like total trash we took a look at the rear springs after i was jumping around in the bed trying to set off his alarm (nice aint i?) and noticed it didnt have much bounce. well the springs were on the overloads. and after thinking about it my truck rode much better than his did (i have an 01 2500 4x4 x cab short bed) he decided to have the springs re arched back to stock it was a night and day diferance it rode so much better i was amazed.

weird thing is his dad was the original owner on the truck and never really did any towing much less heavy towing for whatever reason the springs just sagged.

so before you go and ruin the way your truck drives with a load look at what you already have and fix the issue. My 01 rides as good or better than most 1500 trucks even including some of the new ones cause lets face it some new trucks ride pretty rough.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My 01 has the overloads on top that hit stops. I have a single air bag in the middle with a automatic ride height control. I cut the bottom overload and next leaf up off at the back of the axle. This leaves two leaves on the back and all the leaves on the front to keep the axle wrap down. This would work without the airbag also I think. I drive without air in the bag without the trailer and it rides alot better.
I would think maybe just taking the bottom two leaves out would be something to try, you could always put them back in.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i talked to the owner and when he had the rear end completely rebuilt 6 months ago by some cheap shop. the num-nuts put new springs in it, the 3500 springs. that's why my damn truck rides like it has no suspension. gunu just remove the over load in the spring pack and send the top to valley spring to shave it down. 35$ is cheap. thanks anyways guys.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
For future reference, you wouldn't be able to do the 1/2 ton spring swap anyways, unless you swapped brackets too. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have 3" wide leaf packs, while the 1/2 tons have 2.5" wide packs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For future reference, you wouldn't be able to do the 1/2 ton spring swap anyways, unless you swapped brackets too. The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks have 3" wide leaf packs, while the 1/2 tons have 2.5" wide packs.
thanks for the info halycon

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
No problem!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just for info, the Duallies don't necessarily get the dual overloads (one pack above, one overload below) and some single rear wheel trucks get the top overloads. I've seen both. I am tempted to note, however, the only time I TOUCH my overloads is on off cambers, bumps etc. On flat ground, 2600 pounds is about an inch off the frame perches for the overloads.

I'd say you could take a leaf out, but it will make axlewrap NAAAASTY if you have the factory blocks. On other vehicles, I've added/removed leaves and the difference is remarkable in wrap, ride, and load capacity. One leaf can make a really big difference.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd say you could take a leaf out, but it will make axlewrap NAAAASTY if you have the factory blocks. QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. I already need something to control spring/axle wrap. Can't imagine taking any leaves out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts