Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took about 8,000 miles on my new 2019 Cummins but today it happened. Mostly I do 19 mpg including a fair amount of light towing. The heavy towing will start in a couple weeks with a jaunt to Daytona and Bike Week. Just always hoping this new rig could do it in normal driving patterns.

Well the last 625 miles only had about 100 miles of light towing. Sure there were urban clutter operation, a fair amount of idling but mostly open and rural roads.

20.5 mpg had calculated. The stupid lie-o-meter read 21.8 but often showed over 22 mpg. Figured it just might do it with more break-in mileage. I say ....

YEAH!

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Which truck do you have?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I find this very interesting because when I drive my '06 Auto 4WD 5.9L in FL I too get much better fuel economy than anywhere else. I cant explain it because where I live now its, flat and the air is dense and I get ~15-16mpg.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which truck do you have?
I have a 2019 2500 with the new hydraulic Cummins engine. It is a crew cab, 4 x 4 with full cap. Right now it has about 8,000 miles on it. I carry an extra 20 gallon fuel tank in the bed and maybe 200 lbs of tools and equipment.

E69DE9C3-FF50-4EF1-B9C2-7994D21FB0B2 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Drove over 600 miles on that load of fuel. About 100 miles, but no more, were done towing a small open trailer with a Honda Rancher quad on it and some other gear. Fair amount of mileage was shopping and taking the wife to urban lunches. There was a little interstate 80 mph operation. Most was rather rural roads to the rifle range and back multiple times of about 80 miles as i ran a 600 yard two-day shooting tournament there. There was a fair amount of idling.

Normally I have been getting 19 mpg. On my Fall hunting trips to Georgia I always pulled trailer, running 80 mph often and did 17 mpg. Lately running mostly solo I have noticed the Evic showing as high as 22.8 mpg over extended periods. Just knew the engine was "breaking in" and a real 20+ mpg would soon follow.

Adding that I most always fuel at a local WalMart. That fuel is marked as a bio-fuel. Today it was $2.58 a gallon. Have yet to change my original oil and filters.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Occasional 80 mph,
Towing small trailer with 4 wheeler,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,
Mall crawling and lunchions,
Multiple engine startups,

20.5 MPG

I'll have what your smoking/drinking.
Either that or you forgot to figure in the extra spare 20 gallons.

Reactions: Montana A Body

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2019 2500 with the new hydraulic Cummins engine. It is a crew cab, 4 x 4 with full cap. Right now it has about 8,000 miles on it. I carry an extra 20 gallon fuel tank in the bed and maybe 200 lbs of tools and equipment.

E69DE9C3-FF50-4EF1-B9C2-7994D21FB0B2 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Drove over 600 miles on that load of fuel. About 100 miles, but no more, were done towing a small open trailer with a Honda Rancher quad on it and some other gear. Fair amount of mileage was shopping and taking the wife to urban lunches. There was a little interstate 80 mph operation. Most was rather rural roads to the rifle range and back multiple times of about 80 miles as i ran a 600 yard two-day shooting tournament there. There was a fair amount of idling.

Normally I have been getting 19 mpg. On my Fall hunting trips to Georgia I always pulled trailer, running 80 mph often and did 17 mpg. Lately running mostly solo I have noticed the Evic showing as high as 22.8 mpg over extended periods. Just knew the engine was "breaking in" and a real 20+ mpg would soon follow.

Adding that I most always fuel at a local WalMart. That fuel is marked as a bio-fuel. Today it was $2.58 a gallon. Have yet to change my original oil and filters.
You waiting for the soot to soak in???? :stirpot:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Occasional 80 mph,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,

20.5 MPG

I'll have what your smoking/drinking.
Either that or you forgot to figure in the extra spare 20 gallons.
BULL!

I am not a liar on this issue. Many, many owners use the newer Cummins and get 20 mpg plus driving in a reasonable manner. My old Cummins was a 2004. Kept that one 10 years and 242,000 miles. Got 21 mpg running Interstate 70 mph speeds. Friend had a 2007 Cummins with a 3:42 rear end ratio and an automatic. I drove it from south Florida to my hunting camp in central Georgia for him as he got a bit old to drive. 23 mpg both ways not towing. We ran 75 mph as his gear ratio kept the rpm's down below my ration.

This one I have now has stock 3:75 rears. I keep the stock tires around 70 psi and try to keep the top rpm's around 1,700 or so.

This picture is coming home from a test ride on a different truck with what looks like 42 miles on it. See the rpm at around 65? Same rear end ratio as mine.
Y1UXJ2sLTrqlh7%xGkQtgA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

After my motor started to break in I most always showed over 20 mpg but actual calculation was 17 -18 early on. Then it went to a consistent 19 mpg hand calculated (with or without the use of the extra tank). Lately it has consistently showed higher and higher, almost to 23 mpg.

Here is a picture from the last tank of fuel before this one. Do not remember how many miles were on it at the picture time. When I fueled it today it was real close to 8,000 miles. LOOK! This is my truck as pictured at the start of this thread.

DAA82242-29CB-4FF3-984A-5154E2565A33_1_201_a by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

If you have a new Cummins hydraulic motor 2019 - 2020 and have yet to get close to this you are doing something wrong.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You waiting for the soot to soak in???? :stirpot:
Ran the same fuel in my Ecodiesel for 114,000 miles. No soot. Super clean but I did have GDE tuning. My oil at 10,00 miles was super clean. This Cummins is not that way yet.

Watching the oil with the stock emissions system has shown it typically foul the oil with soot contamination. yet, I posted pictures of my oil at maybe 4,000 miles and it sure looked decent and not inky black like my old Cummins or my old Ford diesel tractor is today. I just checked the oil recently and it is now darkening but not at the "black ink" level that is so disgusting. My take there is the EGR is not as damaging to the new Cummins as it is/was to the Ecodiesel if you ran it stock.

Other owners of recent Cummins but not the brand new engine have responded in kind. The soot contamination is not hideous like the Ecodiesel. My Duramax before the old Cummins was also a nasty oil contaminator.

I have no plans to deal with that issue right now. After maybe 50K I expect to do a full delete without having contamination issues that are serious. Hope that is the case. No way am I throwing money away changing oil early and then more often than is recommended.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ran the same fuel in my Ecodiesel for 114,000 miles. No soot. Super clean but I did have GDE tuning. My oil at 10,00 miles was super clean. This Cummins is not that way yet.

Watching the oil with the stock emissions system has shown it typically foul the oil with soot contamination. yet, I posted pictures of my oil at maybe 4,000 miles and it sure looked decent and not inky black like my old Cummins or my old Ford diesel tractor is today. I just checked the oil recently and it is now darkening but not at the "black ink" level that is so disgusting. My take there is the EGR is not as damaging to the new Cummins as it is/was to the Ecodiesel if you ran it stock.

Other owners of recent Cummins but not the brand new engine have responded in kind. The soot contamination is not hideous like the Ecodiesel. My Duramax before the old Cummins was also a nasty oil contaminator.

I have no plans to deal with that issue right now. After maybe 50K I expect to do a full delete without having contamination issues that are serious. Hope that is the case. No way am I throwing money away changing oil early and then more often than is recommended.
So...you are going to let the soot soak in....I understand. :smile2:

Yes, Driving habits play a big role in MPG's. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if it is all that bad for ego soot we should all immediately do a full delete.

What is crazy is how to do that delete. If you go on another Cummins forum and pay the $100 for a contributing member you can then get information on how to get that done. Right now I am not looking and do not know how to get a delete done. The EPA crackdown sure stopped those links from being discussed. To my knowledge there is and maybe never has been a delete that leaves all the emission equipment hooked up but electronically turned off. The problem is EGR and the DEF system a good option. The DPF is not a big deal and does stop that black exhaust.

Been literally begging for a link to anyone that can program one of these like GDE did for the Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
BULL!

I am not a liar on this issue. Many, many owners use the newer Cummins and get 20 mpg plus driving in a reasonable manner. My old Cummins was a 2004. Kept that one 10 years and 242,000 miles. Got 21 mpg running Interstate 70 mph speeds. Friend had a 2007 Cummins with a 3:42 rear end ratio and an automatic. I drove it from south Florida to my hunting camp in central Georgia for him as he got a bit old to drive. 23 mpg both ways not towing. We ran 75 mph as his gear ratio kept the rpm's down below my ration.

This one I have now has stock 3:75 rears. I keep the stock tires around 70 psi and try to keep the top rpm's around 1,700 or so.

This picture is coming home from a test ride on a different truck with what looks like 42 miles on it. See the rpm at around 65? Same rear end ratio as mine.
Y1UXJ2sLTrqlh7%xGkQtgA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

After my motor started to break in I most always showed over 20 mpg but actual calculation was 17 -18 early on. Then it went to a consistent 19 mpg hand calculated (with or without the use of the extra tank). Lately it has consistently showed higher and higher, almost to 23 mpg.

Here is a picture from the last tank of fuel before this one. Do not remember how many miles were on it at the picture time. When I fueled it today it was real close to 8,000 miles. LOOK! This is my truck as pictured at the start of this thread.

DAA82242-29CB-4FF3-984A-5154E2565A33_1_201_a by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

If you have a new Cummins hydraulic motor 2019 - 2020 and have yet to get close to this you are doing something wrong.
If you wouldn't have included

Occasional 80 mph,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,

I would agree with you on 20.5 mpg but doing that the only BULL! is 20.5 mpg.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you wouldn't have included

Occasional 80 mph,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,

I would agree with you on 20.5 mpg but doing that the only BULL! is 20.5 mpg.
We are not going to go anywhere dealing with this. FYI just this morning the wife and I went to Ash Wednesday Mass. I took these pictures AFTER church, AFTER, going shopping and parking, poking in traffic and then holding this 70 mph speed to check my rpm at that speed. LOOK!

553EDD9D-5E68-49A3-B373-7966C2B28DDA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

When I pulled off a local road where I was running that speed to head into the Sundance area where I live I took this last picture for what the EVIC was reading. Granted this is not hand calculated.

31AEDFA3-227D-4985-90C7-39E028660AA1 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

For 33 years I was a teacher outside Pittsburgh. Taught thousands of young adults and coached mega shooting teams and other athletic programs. Even ran alternative education programs, quite successfully I need to add. Throughout those decades I most always had this statement posted prominently on my classroom walls. It was a good reminder to not bother continuing an argument.

"If you wrestle with a pig you both get dirty and the pig loves it".

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
We are not going to go anywhere dealing with this. FYI just this morning the wife and I went to Ash Wednesday Mass. I took these pictures AFTER church, AFTER, going shopping and parking, poking in traffic and then holding this 70 mph speed to check my rpm at that speed. LOOK!

553EDD9D-5E68-49A3-B373-7966C2B28DDA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

When I pulled off a local road where I was running that speed to head into the Sundance area where I live I took this last picture for what the EVIC was reading. Granted this is not hand calculated.

31AEDFA3-227D-4985-90C7-39E028660AA1 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

For 33 years I was a teacher outside Pittsburgh. Taught thousands of young adults and coached mega shooting teams and other athletic programs. Even ran alternative education programs, quite successfully I need to add. Throughout those decades I most always had this statement posted prominently on my classroom walls. It was a good reminder to not bother continuing an argument.

"If you wrestle with a pig you both get dirty and the pig loves it".
A picture without miles driven, average mph for miles driven, is half truths.

Like I said I agree if you wouldn't have included the fuel robbing elements I quoted you saying.

I also worked in a school for 30 years, taught hunter safety education classes for the state of North Dakota, chief of police from 1982 - 1985, grew up on a farm and still manage the farm, worked on diesel and gas engines, vo-tech engine mechanic school 1975 - 1978, raced at fargo raceway, bootlegged raced prairie/dirt/gravel roads 1975 - 1980.

I've learned a few things over life and claiming 20.5 mpg under these conditions;
Occasional 80 mph,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,
Is pure B.S.
And "yes", "I have wrestled with plenty greased pigs".

Reactions: rls002

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
@10%more is not one to make stuff up. He has provided great info on the Eco forum and would not make a 20 mpg claim unless it was legit.
I've given @10%more plenty opportunity to say 20.5 mpg didn't include
Occasional 80 mph,
Fair amount of idleing,
Biodiesel fuel,
That I would believe. I can only question ones integrity.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
EDIT for now.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Something's wonky here. One thread shows 13 posts then when I respond another shows 19 post.
Someone's playing games here.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts