Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jumped on the wagon and ran some 2 stroke oil thru the dodge this weekend. It seemed to run smoother and has a little more power. I know it helps with piece of mind.

·
Banned
146 Posts
I have been doing this for 2 years, and the rig runs great. I am very happy with it. . .

·
Registered
99 Posts
I havent thought about this but I will try it when I come home.

this website is awesome

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have found that 8-10 oz is the best mixture for my truck. Or i will run 6-8 oz of 2stroke and 4-6 oz of Howes Diesel Treat (not meaner cleaner).

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been doing this for 2 years, and the rig runs great. I am very happy with it. . .
I see you have an amzoil logo on your sig. Are you using amzoil 2 stroke oil?

I bought a gallon at NAPA the other day to use. Their synthetic stuff. $28 a gallon, but if figured the old girl is worth it.

The first stuff I put in was some Mercury synthetic I had left over from last years season. I dumped in two quarts just to give her a little extra to start with. It starts a little hard now so I'll back down to the 1/2 to a quart a tank that everyone else is running.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Why not use an addative designed to be used in a HPCR engine and not a 2 cycle weed wacker engine? Or, better yet, run some biodiesel.

·
Registered
477 Posts
last truck was just powerservice...

this truck has been 16oz PS and 16oz semi-syn 2 stroke per fill up

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
2 things. 1) no need for expensive 2 stroke, wally world tcw-3 is fine. 2) for second gens 1 oz / gal (128:1) is good, 3rd gens like it at .64 oz / gal (200:1). If you put a set amount per fill up you will be making the mixture leaner or richer than it needs to be. I fill up then calculate .64 x gallons of fuel added and dump it in on top. This keeps the mix right.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Why not use an addative designed to be used in a HPCR engine and not a 2 cycle weed wacker engine?
People run 2 stroke for lubrication...... every diesel additive I've found (except for 1) is made up of solvents and/or alcohol, with little or nothing that adds lubrication.

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
People run 2 stroke for lubrication...... every diesel additive I've found (except for 1) is made up of solvents and/or alcohol, with little or nothing that adds lubrication.
Then why does testing show several addatives that lube better than two stroke? Haven't we had this conversation before?

·
Registered
144 Posts
subscribing... (im ignorant..dont know or understand any of this additive crap haha... truck is completly stock.... and i want it to last as long as possible)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Then why does testing show several addatives that lube better than two stroke? Haven't we had this conversation before?
Since we can argue the merits of testing that happens on a test bench, not using any components of an actual fuel system (much less a HPCR system), I will ask you 1 question.......

Since you say these additives provide enhanced lubrication and lubrication is most important in the engine itself, why aren't these lubrication additives recommended for use in the engine and would you ever consider putting it in your crankcase?

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Since we can argue the merits of testing that happens on a test bench, not using any components of an actual fuel system (much less a HPCR system), I will ask you 1 question.......

Since you say these additives provide enhanced lubrication and lubrication is most important in the engine itself, why aren't these lubrication additives recommended for use in the engine and would you ever consider putting it in your crankcase?
This thread is not talking about putting 2 stroke in the crankcase. It's talking about putting it in the fuel tank. I would put it in my fuel tank before I would put it in my crankcase. Nice job pointing out that 2 stroke oil is not recommended to be put in a HPCR engine crankcase though also. It's not a good lubricant for a HPCR FUEL SYSTEM! ITS FOR WEEDWACKERS YOU GUYS!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I've never used 2-stroke in my truck, but for the people who post that they're in favor of using diesel additives but against 2-stroke (JDiepstra), could you post specifically what ingredients in 2-stroke are bad for your fuel system.

I'm tired of posts that say things like Additive 'A' is good for your truck but Additive 'B' is bad, when both additives contain basically the same ingredients. At least when I look at the ingredients of 2-stroke, I see that it contains some actual lubricants.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
2 stroke can contain up to 80% solvents so the theory that solvents being bad is mute. Even cigarette lighter fluid has lubricity properties and that's the solvent that's in a lot of diesel fuel additives. ULSD diesel is an excellent solvent as far as cleaning. Bio-diesel is also one of the best solvents to clean your diesel fuel system. Yet Bio-diesel is the best lubricant you can add to diesel fuel.

Diesel additives are formulated to be used in diesel engine fuel systems. 2 stroke is not sold, formulated, or designed for diesel fuel systems. Have never, ever read a scientific study done to show other wise. I have read a bunch of billy butcher non professional testing saying it works. I have read a friend of a friend says it works. I have read a friend of a diesel mechanic says it works. I have never seen any scientific research saying it's O.K. to use in diesel fuel systems.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.