Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

2 hours to install an Airdog? Yeah right!

3761 Views 26 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Fern
You guys that have said you can install one of these in 2-3 hours are full of it. It takes 30 minutes just to read the instructions, lay out all the parts, get all the tools ready, chock the wheels, and unhook the batteries. You still have to remove all the old stock lines, lift pump, and filter, etc., drop the tank, make fuel lines, fasten everything, figure routing, install draw straw (cut it, clean old box and screens, clean out tank junk), mount pump (holy bat shortbed $#&^%!*@@), connect lines, connect and route wires, tape up old connectors, zip tie everything, re-install tank, fill water separator, fill tank back up with diesel, reconnect batteries, prime system, start, check for leaks, clean up tools, remove wheel chocks, take a shower.

It took me 2 hours just to mount the pump. I had to modify alot of things and get a different tighter 90 degree fitting which I had to order online and wait for. I have ALOT more than 2-3 hours for the whole job, but I am also a perfectionist. That is all - LIARS. :)
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,795 Posts
Mine was start to finish in under 3 hours, with about 45 minutes for dinner with the wife and kid in the middle somewhere. But I put an AirDog 100 and didn't have to deal with dropping the tank and the drawstraw. But did remove the stock system completely too.

· Registered
687 Posts
It took me longer than that to figure out where to mount it on a SB! :funny_post:

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
:lol4: Yeah, 2 hours is a little extreme :doh:

James
RSD
No, it took me more than 2 hours just to mount it ALSO - that was after I figured out where to put it and after modifying a bunch of crap so it would fit. I could barely get at the bolts and the nut head to tighten the frame bracket. LOL, bolt on my #$% How in the world do guys with FASS mount theirs on shortbeds?

Rick -
The fitting I got was a 90 degree adapter -8 JIC to 3/8 NPT. With the kit there was a straight -8 JIC to 3/8 NPT adapter, then a 90 degree hose end. The corner of the 90 degree part of the fitting sticks out about 2.5 inches from the pump body which prevented me from having enough room to mount it. Yes there is hardly any room on the short beds and no other spot I could see to mount it. So, with the 90 adapter it gave me an extra 1.5 inches clearance and I was able to fit the pump with that tighter fitting.

The fitting I am talking about is the one on the right - the inlet from the tank. You can see the cab mount about 3/4" from the side of the fitting. The 90 degree fittings that come with it have a very small hole, so switching to this one which was a forged elbow with a huge inner diameter was probably better anyways. I used neither of the supplied 90 degree hose ends, and did use the supplied forged steel swivel on the other side at the outlet going back to the tank.

Oh, the last picture you can see where I had to notch out the metal for the line. It looks like it is hitting the line in that picture from the angle, but there is a good 1/2-3/4" clearance on both sides and the line isn't moving. I put wire loom around the fuel line in areas where I thought it might come in contact with anything at any point just to give it extra protection.

G

·
i must have good luck cause it only took me 2hrs or less the first one i did i pulled the bed i had three other guys help me take it off but i did the rest when i first look at the instructions i got kinda confused so i threw them aside walked over and look at a truck that had one on it and went at it ive done a few now and all 1.5-2hrs and thats not pushin it.

im gonna get lucky here soon i have a 2002 cab and chassis with a dump bed so hit a button and the beds up so that should only take about a hour to install the ad150 on it pull the bed on all the trucks i do

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine was start to finish in under 3 hours, with about 45 minutes for dinner with the wife and kid in the middle somewhere. But I put an AirDog 100 and didn't have to deal with dropping the tank and the drawstraw. But did remove the stock system completely too.
Long bed? How are you guys that aren't dropping the tanks routing the fuel lines? On the outside of the frame rail? I ran mine on the inside.

G

·
i run mine on the outside of the frame seems easiest to me in this pic you can see it run down the frame then at the front it goes under the frame and back up to the vp

· Registered
1,732 Posts
took me an my friend on his 06 9 hours with a run to hooters in there i think and im going to order mine next week and i have a shortbox, is it easiest to just bolt to the outside of the frame????????

G

·
your best bet is the outside of the frame where i put mine in the previous pick is i think the best place right by the tank and nice and high and plenty off room you can use the frame mount since the frame is to long for the back so i just welded mine and the pump is still easily removable

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
took me an my friend on his 06 9 hours with a run to hooters in there i think and im going to order mine next week and i have a shortbox, is it easiest to just bolt to the outside of the frame????????
That is your only option on a shortbed. There are 2 locations. Where I put mine which is bolt on but modifications required or weld the bracket on a little further back like kjpcummins did.
I was going to weld mine, but I could not get any clamps to fit to hold it on while I went to the welding shop, so this was my best option. Now I am glad I did it this way since I did not want to weld or drill into the frame. I notched out some of the lip of the cab and hammered a little to get some clearance for the pump. You can see in the picture. I sprayed rubberized coating to prevent rust where I had cut and hammered and did the whole area above the pump to help with pump noise (if there is any) since it was right under the drivers seat.

· Registered
687 Posts
Since you have a SB, you may want to look at this thread.

· Registered
497 Posts
Mine was 3 hours with multiple beer breaks. But it was an Airdog 100 on a longbed, I did not drop the tank or raise the bed, and I left all of the original stuff in place for the moment. I may remove the unneeded stuff later, but for the moment it's not in my way or bothering anything. Plus the old fuel lines gave me something to ziptie the new fuel lines to.

· Registered
687 Posts
I do think you could properly install the AD100 on a LB in 3-4 hours, provided friends don't show up to 'help' with beer! :food012:

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It took me 2hrs 1 day to install mine.........It also took me about that much time two other days .:thumbsup:
so 2 hours 1 day - thats 26 hours right? :lol4:
That is how long it seemed like it took me. Finally someone that is honest instead of trying for bragging rights, haha. Just kidding. 2 hours though? Come on!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.