Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,I've owned this 93 4x4 Cummins for one year,great truck.The previous owner had said he changed out the flex plate while in Arizona,it cracked.Well two weeks ago the flex plate cracked again.I talked to our local tranny shop,they said they have never had nor heard of this problem.The torque spigot is with in spec. 1.810 but the crank end bore is 2''with no wear (looks like factory).The shop that we have the truck at said torque spigot to crank should be tight.Chrysler can't come up with a bushing,Cummins doesn't know,any suggestion?Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
2 sounds alittle crazy but if a truck is moddified at all these 1stgen flex plates stand no chance. DO NOT LET THEM PUT ANOTHER STANDARD PLATE IN! Get one from cummins for a 95. Much heavier. Good investment. The PO may have gotten a used one that had a half a million miles on it so you never know.

Is the truck modded at all?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy that we bought the truck from said a diesel shop did some pump mods,but thats all.Are we barking up the wrong tree with the crank not fitting tight to the torque spigot?Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Make sure that someone did not put a Torque converter for a V-10 in your truck. The diesel converter and the V-10 converters look similar but the crank pilot is different. Get a flex plate for a 95 from the dealer or a aftermarket heavy duty flexplate and make sure that both of the alignment dowel pins are in the back of the engine. I hope that this helps!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The 95 flexplate is stronger. I m just waiting for mine to break now that i am making some good power.

·
First Generation Moderator
2,170 Posts
I don't know what-about a torque spigot. Never heard of it. I use an SFI plate that is available from performance shops. It was about 150.00 If you phone a shop and they tell you it's 4-5 hundred $, then hang up and call PDR up in Oh! Canada, eh.

·
Gone Fishing!!
2,793 Posts
You don't want the T/C to be tight in the bore of the crank. With what you have posed in your first post thats the way it should be. If they made it a tight fit over do time with rust you would have a hard time getting it out. You have a thing call heat also, it needs room to move and grow in the pilot of the crank.:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I don't know what-about a torque spigot. Never heard of it. I use an SFI plate that is available from performance shops. It was about 150.00 If you phone a shop and they tell you it's 4-5 hundred $, then hang up and call PDR up in Oh! Canada, eh.
2nd the SFI plate. I found mine on eBay for $115.00 including shipping.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hate to say this but if a tranny shop has never had a broken flex plate, then they are doing something wrong. So many cars are sold because the engine is "nocking" and all it is is a cracked flex plate. i would do some reasearch on the tranny shop you have it at. i can think of 4 here in my local area that have experienced a cracked flex plate. maybe not on that specific model but it does happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my dad cracked his once and upgraded to a gen2

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
As others have pointed out, the 2nd gen and aftermarket SFI rated flexplates are of a more substantial build.

In the following image, I have an OEM 1st gen flexplate nested in an SFI rated flexplate. The difference in build is quite clear.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys this info is awesome,I'm going to order one SFI flex plate from the states tomorrow.We'll have to pick it up in Montana for if shipped to Canada it will be 3 weeks eh.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just requested info on a flex plate from SFI,it doesn't sound to promising by their web site ,lots of out of stock items,but we'll see in the morning.Wonder what to do with the 1st gen flex that I bought for $250 + taxes from the auto wrecker?Should have been on this site first,oh well it's only money.

·
Gone Fishing!!
2,793 Posts
I went to ebay and found them and I asked the sellers some questions about them like, over all thickness, how much more stronger are they than the thicker 2nd and 3rd gens but that was 3 days ago and no reply back. :thud: If they are what they say they are then it would be a great upgrade for some members that don't plan on big power levels.:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Check BC's pics ---
That's where I got my flexplate from - They dropped the price !:CRY::CRY:

The plate is well built and thick! If it's tested like they say, I have no doubt it'll hold the torque and will spin well over what we're capable of.

·
Gone Fishing!!
2,793 Posts
Check BC's pics ---
That's where I got my flexplate from - They dropped the price !:CRY::CRY:

The plate is well built and thick! If it's tested like they say, I have no doubt it'll hold the torque and will spin well over what we're capable of.
Well hello there unix how are you?

I did check his pics but the two flex plates are a stock 1st gen and then the SFI flex plate. What I wanted to know was if the SFI is thicker than the 2nd gens.

The other part is yes we will not hit that high of rpm's but it's not the rpm's it's the weight of the billet T/C that has me wondering. Do they test the SFI plates with that much weight at that rpm? Also the load we put on them with that much weight hanging on? I would like to know how much can they put up with from a truck with some mods not a lot but a few say around 350 to 450 hp?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts