Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the bulbs the same?, Will they plug in the existing harness on a second generation?
The reason I ask is- my mutt truck is getting a 3rd gen front bumper (long long story)
Thanx

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
19,039 Posts
No, they do not use the same plug, and IIRC one uses switched ground and the other uses switched power for alternating high and low beam. Grab a pig tail from a junk yard. You'll need to mount the 3rd gen headlights to the core support, and make a mount for the rear outside bolt as well as do some extensive cutting in the fender to get the 3rd gen lgihts to fit

Roughly this much cutting

But they do eventually fit for the most part....i'd do ths a little differently if i were to do it again to make ti fit better though

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanx
Or-
will the 2nd generation just fit into the third-gen light housing?
I could skip the wiring as i have zero for junkyards near me.
thanx

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your looks great!

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Details, and more details right?
Thank you

· Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
2018 Ram 3500 CCLBSRW
19,039 Posts
Eh, i did it many moons ago when i was much younger. I think fitment could've been improved looking back on it, but it worked

I've always found a way to make my rigs more on the unique side then others

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yours looks great !
Is the wiring pretty straightforward?

· Registered
1,882 Posts
The answers is: it depends on what headlights you have.
Early 3rd gens are 1 bulb lights that take a 9007.
2nd gens with 1 bulb lights take a 9004 however the dual bulb lights take a 9007 for the low beam and a 9004 for the high beams.

9004: lo beam rating 45W, hi beam rating 65W
9007: lo beam rating 55W, hi beam rating 65W

The bases are the same as far as plugging in the connector is concerned BUT they're keyed differently to go in the housing AND the wiring is different. Also, the filaments are arranged differently.

Product Font Line Water Rectangle

This is a very good tool for looking up bulb application:
Sylvania Bulb Finder

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am fitting a front plastic bumper that is performed for the lights that have a wave under them.

Cutting out the fender is no problem to make them work. installing in this 1998.5 platform.
If anyone knows of some pigtails to plug in the lights, if that makes it more EZ please do let me know.
Thanx

· Registered
1,882 Posts
If anyone knows of some pigtails to plug in the lights, if that makes it more EZ please do let me know.
Thanx
You can easily unpin the harness connector and arrange the wires for whichever bulb you want.

This has been a very useful tool in my shop: Terminal Removal Kit

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, thanx!
I did find a couple of lights (used with pigtails) . I will examine this and see if I can make it all work.
I might have more questions.....

· Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These for sure are much more different than a glance will tell you!
They are taller from top to bottom for one.
For sure I am glad to have sourced these, as the fit to the bumper is a bit different as far as bumper height then I guessed.
Inch by inch here.......things get done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts