Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know this is a DIESEL forum but it was announced today that starting tomorrow Dodge will, with the purchase of any new vehicle, lock your fuel costs @ 2.99 per gallon for 3 years. Anyone else hear this today? Do you think it will have any impact on sales?

For the record, the radio did not say anything about diesel.

Lifetime drivetrain warranty and now this. What's next?????

Ooops....didn't see the other post on this already!

·
Registered
419 Posts
never heard that before....anyone else?

J-Mo

·
Registered
106 Posts
I myself was just at the local stealership today looking at a new aspen limited for my wife, they were telling me that that was one of the new rebates, but not to take it that if you do it will be the only rebate that you can get, and it only guarantees that you can purchase so much fuel at that price for three years but say hypothetically, the price of fuel actually goes down below that price than you lose out on your rebate, the way that he explained it to me, the cash rebates on the aspen i was looking at were about $4,500, but the total savings on fuel rebate on the amount of purchasable fuel for the three years, was only about 1800-$2100 depending on the actual fuel price!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thats just Dodge's way of trying to keep people from griping about their crappy fuel mileage!!

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
did someone just say something about the price of fuel going down:rof:rof:rof:rof:woot:

·
Registered
42 Posts
This program should start today and it will include some diesels. I am not sure which ones but I beleive the cummins is included. The program for $2.99 per gallon is only for the first 12,000 miles per year for 3years.

·
Diesel-less
4,259 Posts
Ram 2500/3500 are covered (diesel or gas) and they lock the price of any fuel registered to the card at $2.99 per gallon with an extra $2 per use of the card. Total they allow 2,400 gallons to be bought over 3 years within the time periods each year. That's about 800 gallons per year. 200 more than I am currently using in my gasser.

·
Registered
70 Posts
they must know something about future fuel prices we dont know .....

·
Registered
169 Posts
The rebate actually varries vehicle to vehicle. The total gallons allowed on the rebate is calculated like this: 12,000 miles per year/average MPG of said vehilce=total gallons allowed to purchase at $2.99. Fuel will be purchased with a special debit card that is tied to your bank account. You are charged 2.99, Chrysler picks up the rest. Some vehicles are excluded, I have not heard what ones. Probalby Viper. I suspect just about anything with a Hemi will be included. (I did hear cummins as well). Chrysler is trying to pick up sagging sales on their gas guzzling models.
Ryan

·
08 Cummins
2,203 Posts
The rebate actually varries vehicle to vehicle. The total gallons allowed on the rebate is calculated like this: 12,000 miles per year/average MPG of said vehilce=total gallons allowed to purchase at $2.99. Fuel will be purchased with a special debit card that is tied to your bank account. You are charged 2.99, Chrysler picks up the rest. Some vehicles are excluded, I have not heard what ones. Probalby Viper. I suspect just about anything with a Hemi will be included. (I did hear cummins as well). Chrysler is trying to pick up sagging sales on their gas guzzling models.
Ryan
So that makes me wonder how do they calculate the gallons allowed for the diesels. The Ram 2500/3500 do not have EPA estimated MPG values. No where have I ever even seen DC post any estimated City/Highway MPG numbers for these trucks either.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Best case scenario, 24000 miles of fuel at 15 mpg (varies) would equal 1600 gallons. Avg today here is $4.25-2.99= $1.26 per gallon savings. Full price would be $6800. Price at $2.99 would be $4784, or a savings of $2016. BUT add in the $2 per use at, say 30 gallons per fill up you would spend an additional $107, so the real savings would be about $1909. Go for the regular rebates.:$:

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,567 Posts
here's how its gonna work. knew there would be some sort of underlying fine print.

Here’s how it will work: The new-car buyer who chooses to take the gas offer instead of a straight cash rebate will register for a special gas card that is linked to their own Visa or MasterCard. They then pay at the pump and swipe their card. The total cost of the fill-up (it can be up to 87 octane regular unleaded gasoline, E85, or diesel) is sent to a third party that splits up the bill: $2.99 a gallon is charged to the customer, the additional 66 cents ($3.65 per gallon currently prevails in many large U.S. cities) is charged back to Chrysler, explains Steve Landry, Chrysler executive vice president of North American sales.

There are some provisos: mid-grade or premium unleaded costs the consumer 15 cents and 30 cents more, respectively; grades higher than 94 octane are not covered; and you cannot use a gasoline card for diesel and vice versa.

The program is limited to 12,000 miles of driving annually based on the EPA combined city and highway fuel economy rating (lead foots may find they don’t get a full 12,000 miles in real-world driving) on the Chrysler vehicle purchased under the program, Landry said.. Thus, if the vehicle gets 28 miles per gallon, the customer will be able to purchase 428.5 gallons of gasoline at the program price, Chrysler said. Another unique wrinkle is that once the card is in the customer’s hands, it can be used by other family members and to fill-up other vehicles.

·
Registered
740 Posts
anybody do this and now yelling into the mirror?
Hahaa ... I was thinking about this too recently. I knew Chrysler had to know something about the prices going down soon after the offer... otherwise it was too good!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ummm that would be great if Oil wasn't tanking and trending toward tanking for a good long while. The only thing that will turn it around at this point is if the Democrats go forward with capping the lowest oil price at 70 dollars a barrel.

·
Registered
106 Posts
*bending over and assuming the position*

yup they got me. it was great for 6 months when fuel prices were over $4 a gallon here. but now, its useless. really pissed and they are not offering a damn thing. oh well, it was the justification i needed to convince the wife, so atleast i got the truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts