Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the notorious 2-3rd gear flare shift now. It started about a week ago when I drove on a road trip, parked it at my destination and then when I drove it the next day, 2nd gear is extended. If I baby it, like 1500rpms and no higher, it shifts early (before 25mph) and it continues on in the gears nicely, however any higher rpms and it will just climb until I let off the throttle. I adjusted the front bands, disconnected the batteries and cleaned grounds, turned the key to on position for 30 seconds to let the TTVA calibrate, and nothing is working. I heard that replacing the TTVA has worked for some and I'll do it if anyone thinks it will help. Just really not sure, what else should I look for or am I just needing to go for a rebuild for the tranny?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Are you dealing with a "flare" during the shift, or does the shift just occur later than it should?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you dealing with a "flare" during the shift, or does the shift just occur later than it should?
terribly sorry I thought they were the same thing. Second gear is just extended under rpms higher than 1600. It keeps climbing until I let off the throttle, or if I'm just really light on the throttle it will shift okay. 2nd gear also feels weaker than it use to, makes me think it's just the internals being worn out

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might I also add that after it shifts out of 2nd gear if you give it too much throttle it will downshift back to 2nd very easily and then it gets stuck in 2nd and does the rpm climb until you let off the throttle and it will shift back to 3rd. Any advice is welcome, and I would love to hear what you think, please.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Stock valve body? I was having similar issues hanging onto 3rd gear. It was a VB adjustment that fixed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts