Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. The wife and I are looking into a 32' 5th wheel toy hauler. GVWR is 12500 / road ready 9500 / pin weight 1600, loaded truck weight with me, goodies and fuel is 6700 towing "capacity" is 12000.

I have lots of questions but I'll limit them to a few:
With my current mods, can anyone say how the rig will tow?
Any advice for 1st time 5th wheel towing?
What differences might there be over towing with a gasser?
And the one I'm most concerned with - With my current equipment below, do you all think the power will be adequate for decent towing performance?

I've towed a 5000lb TT with a small block before but never a 5th wheel with a diesel so I'm a little anxious.

Thanks very much, Mike.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have a 38ft toy hauler that weighed in at 17,500. I hooked to it and went stock. It was fine. I upgraded and added airbags and an air ride hitch and it rocks. I have towed bumper pulls for years and this 5er tows much easier than any of those other trailers. I am convinced.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, that would help, huh? :D I'll have to make sure I do that.

G

·
Trans cooling

The only thing I would suggest is adding a cooler to the trans. I used to drag a 32 foot closed car trailer. That was 13,500 loaded.

The 90's to '02 only had a liquid cooled trans cooler. I tore up the trans in my 99 pretty fast with just that.

In my 01' I installed a cooler under the floor with a fan on it, thermostatically controlled. The fan came on when the trans temp hit 210 degrees. Hauled that same trailer for about 45,000 miles and the fluid and trans held up very nicely. The 03's and up got an additional cooler installed behind the intercooler.

G

·
Hey Mikeym I Have A 38 Foot 5ver With 4 Slides You Can See It In My Pics And My Old 12ver Pulls Her Just Fine You May Want Pyro To Watch Egts And The Only Thing I Can Say About Towing Is Take Your Time Good Luck And Congrats

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

Polaraco - I thought I had a tranny cooler just behind the intercooler.. I have the feed and return lines running from the front to an external air cooled mini-radiator looking thing.. isn't that what your talking about?

G

·
Then maybe the sealer did one. I didn't have one. You have a Rad, intercooler and A/C condenser. That's all I had.

I remember the dealer telling me Chrysler finely got smart and put coolers in.

Double check that. It's been a while since I looked at one that old, but I don't think there was room in there to wafer one in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gauges, airbags, and make sure you fold the TV antenna down before you leave.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
definately guages so you can see what your truck is doing.....but airbags would make it so much easier. it will give your truck more stability and even steer easier.

i do recommend upgrade'n your tranny...get a deeper pan and maybe a bypass oil filter system. ive had the fs2500 on my truck(engine and tranny) since the 1stweek ive had the truck (500miles) and have had no problem with the tranny while only service'n it 'bout 3times(currently have 90000mile's)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then maybe the sealer did one. I didn't have one. You have a Rad, intercooler and A/C condenser. That's all I had.

I remember the dealer telling me Chrysler finely got smart and put coolers in.

Double check that. It's been a while since I looked at one that old, but I don't think there was room in there to wafer one in.
Looks like I have (from the inside out) radiator, intercooler, AC condensor, and just to the right of the condensor another small looking radiator thingie - looks like trans cooler with 2 lines.. I couldn't follow them now but I will tonight.

Mike.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Make sure if your brake controller is adjustable that you get it set properly to save on the pickup brakes. After pulling a TT you will love the 5ver. I would recommend air ride. I just put mine on last night. Love them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Don't forget your tailgate, not from personal experience :thud: have heard it alot on forums.

37' cameo and lovin it, may move in soon if things don't get better around here soon.
ENJOY!!:beer

·
Registered
56 Posts
I sell trailers in central Cal. With the wieght you are talking about you will have no problems. We sell 38 ft'ers to guys with 2500's with no problems.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I second the air ride, exhaust brake and brake controller..... I did all of those.

I have the air safe technologies 25k air ride hitch, the BD exhaust brake, and the Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I love every one of them.

The air rides are pricey... but they are absolutely worth it. Good example this weekend I pulled back East from El Paso through the mountains in New Mexico. My brother and I stopped at a rest stop to eat and I forgot and left an open Dr. Pepper can on the top of the entertainment center. I pulled out in traffic pretty hard and remembered it before the next exit. I hit the brakes and took the exit and had a bumpy pull off area before I could get back to the camper. I opened the door and looked up..... it was still sitting in the same place on top of the entertainment center and didn't topple over.

I was totally saved by the air ride because it would have poured over my flat screen TV and DVD player. Keep your eyes open on ebay for them. I got mine used for less than half of what the new ones cost and it had only been used a couple of times.

Great investment and it makes the ride in the truck much easier.

I know what you mean about moving into the camper. I bought mine to travel in with work and I live in it full time. I actually like it. I bought a new one so that I could get exactly what I want but I probably won't do that ever again. Not knowing what I know now about them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No problem, maybe some airbags. Just make sure your hitch is latched.
yea ive made that mistake before.

pulled the gooseneck about 50 mile then we went to put the New Holland TN75 on it and almost lost the back windshield because whoever hooked up the trailer didnt latch it, guess i need to supervise when people are hooking my trailers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Mikeym I Have A 38 Foot 5ver With 4 Slides You Can See It In My Pics And My Old 12ver Pulls Her Just Fine You May Want Pyro To Watch Egts And The Only Thing I Can Say About Towing Is Take Your Time Good Luck And Congrats
Wow, nice setup. That 5th wheel is gigantic. Would love to have that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts