Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently looking at buying an 98 12v 5 speed in my area and wanted it to still have the reliability but some giggy up too... What would you all suggest to do 1st? In the long run I would like to make this a 600hp truck but not looking to do that right away.:confused013:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Alright I wish you luck on your purchase. It's actually a pretty rare truck. But first things first you need to read this http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...ssion/314312-beginners-thread-read-first.html. And before you start new threads always use the search button first. Some of the most informative and helpful threads have been old ones that I didn't even have to post in. All the answers were spelled out for me, and I'm not trying to flame you I'm just giving you some neighborly advice.

Reactions: TaiNo-

·
Registered
11,476 Posts

·
3,998 Posts
ya start off with building a solid platform, KDP needs to be tabbed and not just removed, all the fluids need to be changed (rear diff, front diff, steering, trans, coolant) everythinggggggg. Check out amsoil for that, good deals to be had when buying in bulk. Make your way to the brakes, do a good inspection and replace when needed. Get the truck on a lift and get the prybar out and find out whats loose in the front end, not if anything is loose, but what (bearings, bushings, etc.) Take a few weeks or a couple months to just drive the truck and get to where you are comfortable that its in excellent mechanical condition. Once ya got that down you can starting adding power onto your solid foundation. My first favorite mods are 4k's, bumping timing to around 17-18*, 60lb valve springs, gauges (EGT, boost, fuel pressure, trans temp, maybe a drive pressure if needed). The 4ks and bumped timing will let you use the power you already have in a very exaggerated power band versus the stock defueling that happens fairly early. That should give you a very healthy start. This isnt a dmax where 600hp is EFILive and a lift pump away. Its gonna take work, but I promise you, you'll love this 12 valve. Shes a freakin beast, no questions asked.

Reactions: TaiNo-
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.