Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came across a hell of a deal on a 12 valve out of a 92 d350. I am planning on swapping it into my 99 ram 1500 sport. A issue that I’ve come across is the gauges. Is there any way I could wire a 2nd Gen Cummins instrument cluster to a first Gen motor? If so how would I do that? I’ve seen people use a 98 12 valve harness and pcm but I’m not sure if that would would since the motor is not out of a second Gen. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’d assume you’d need some sort of interposer to talk between the two.

The first gen truck is extremely analog. Second gen 99 has more digital elements. On top of that, I believe 99 was OBD protocol.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I’d assume you’d need some sort of interposer to talk between the two.

The first gen truck is extremely analog. Second gen 99 has more digital elements. On top of that, I believe 99 was OBD protocol.
I think you are spot on with that comment. There were some vehicles that got OBD2 a bit earlier, but 1996+ vehicles in the US have to have OBD2.

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
There is no reason to do that it's just going to cause a big headache. Just use the senders from the gas engine and put them in the Cummins.

I'm moving this to the Conversion section so that you'll be with the other Conversion people and get help. Just keep asking your questions on this Thread and give us some pictures of your project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently I’m in the middle of swapping a 93 12v into a 99 ram. I’ve seen people convert a first Gen to hydroboost brakes. But since I already have the set up will I need to do anything to make it work?

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
Just take the vacuum booster and master cyl off the 1500 and put the hydroboost on it. Then connect the brake lines to the master cyl and the hydroboost to the Power steering pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts