Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the driver side coil spring with 7226s MOOGs, after putting it all back together I jumped in and started the truck up only to see that when drop it into first gear the truck didn't move? It almost felt like the E-Brake was on but it was not. I went ahead and switched between reverse and drive the reverse let me back up while still feeling a little tight. After putting back in drive it was tight so i went ahead and pushed through it after about 400 meters it was back to normal. The problem is now it does this every time i get in to drive it, it doesn't go back to normal until after a 2 min drive. I was reading about possibly the caliper becoming stuck ? Im uncertain hopefully you guys can help, thanks.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Sounds more like converter drainback than a brake problem.

Try starting and idling in neutral for a minute then see if it's still sluggish.

Also check the fluid level, idling in neutral.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds more like converter drainback than a brake problem.

Try starting and idling in neutral for a minute then see if it's still sluggish.

Also check the fluid level, idling in neutral.
Alright ill give it a try tomorrow morning, what would cause the TC to act that way until ran through?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
The converter needs to be full of oil to function correctly. It's not uncommon for them to leak some of their oil back into the transmission. It takes a minute to refill.

It's a common problem for pretty much any automatic transmission but more noticeable in the Torqueflites because they don't fill the converter in park. Hence, starting in neutral to allow the converter to fill before engaging a gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The converter needs to be full of oil to function correctly. It's not uncommon for them to leak some of their oil back into the transmission. It takes a minute to refill.

It's a common problem for pretty much any automatic transmission but more noticeable in the Torqueflites because they don't fill the converter in park. Hence, starting in neutral to allow the converter to fill before engaging a gear.
I ran the truck in neutral at idle for a bit and i believe a noticed a difference in which it was somewhat better, my question is that when it is being normal the truck will pull itself along in first gear with no gas pedal applied. Like i said it wasnt doing it almost like it was getting stuck but what i find weird is that when i go from drive to reverse it pulls without gas applied like normal as if it just in drive. Also the truck is the A518 i believe thats the 4 speed with O/D, if it is drain back would just a good rebuild kit and new converter fix this?

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Did you check you fluid level? You need to check it when the transmission is hot and idling in neutral. Could be you a tad low on fluid.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Drive it around for a few miles then check it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drive it around for a few miles then check it.
I believe i was low so I added a bit today. I also put a 5x5 piece of quarter inch underneath to see if i have developed a leak. Just to get an idea if i was sitting at the "ADD" mark on the dip stick how much oil would i need to add to get the correct desired amount?

·
Registered
670 Posts
A couple of quarts, they hold quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I wouldn't pull it and rebuild it over this problem. Just let it idle in neutral to fill the converter.

I believe someone makes a valve body kit that allows the converter to fill in park but couldn't tell you who.

Another thing is, how often do you plan to drive it? My truck drains if it sits longer than a week, but its fine when run daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't pull it and rebuild it over this problem. Just let it idle in neutral to fill the converter.

I believe someone makes a valve body kit that allows the converter to fill in park but couldn't tell you who.

Another thing is, how often do you plan to drive it? My truck drains if it sits longer than a week, but its fine when run daily.
My daily is a 2008 duramax, I bought the cummins off a guy for a second truck that would be a small project that id like to maybe one day make a fun daily toy. I hardly drive it at the moment as for one the A/C doesnt work and I live in Texas haha. I feel like it might have something to do with wiring since my dash lights, auto locks, radio and passenger side power door doesn't work all together. I will run it tomorrow and and see if it needs more oil, this starting happening after i changed the front coils and shocks i believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts