Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 1st diesel truck. It is a 2005 Dodge 5.9 3500 (single wheel) 4x4 automatic quad cab. I put a K&N air filter in it other than that it is stock. It has 86000 miles on it. I've noticed when it idles I get a hot oil smell in the cab of the truck. Is this normal. I've looked all under the truck and can not find any oil leaks. Sorry for the basic question, but I've read most of the post on here and could not find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The Cummins engine has a breather catch bottle on the front of the engine, it may be full and dripping. Also check on the firewall, there is a large rubber plug over the steering column that may have popped loose. Some oils also smell immediately after an oil change.

Search "breather bottle" here and you will find multiple solutions.

Ops

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ops, I hated to ask this question. But, I have a lot of friends that have diesel trucks and I have never smelled oil in their trucks.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
i get the same smell once in a while even when my truck was new

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I believe the breather tube on our 3rd gen trucks is right next to the oil pan. It drips on the front axle. And there isn't a bottle on it. At least that's the way mine is? It's up front like Ops said on the 2nd gen trucks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hot Stuff,
You must be right. I found the tube you are talking about, but never found the bottle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts